North Cotabato diarrhea outbreak contained

-A A +A

Wednesday, May 14, 2014


THE diarrhea outbreak that hit remote villages in North Cotabato province had been contained, but the cause of the disease remained unknown, officials said Wednesday.

Governor Emmylou Mendoza said the number of patients at Alamada Community Hospital had been reduced after many of them have been rehydrated when health workers responded just in time to arrest the outbreak.

Health authorities said eight people were confirmed dead from the outbreak. Read the related story here.

Alamada Community Hospital chief Dr. Mary Joy Posada said no patient died in the hospital. “They died in their homes and were not brought to the hospital.”

Posada said many patients have been discharged, but there were also new patients complaining of stomach pain and diarrhea.

According to hospital records, there were about 600 patients who suffered vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain, while more than 70 percent of them have recovered and returned home.

She said the situation now is better as compared to the last few days.

The situation was later addressed when police and military medical workers arrived along with doctors from nearby communities in North Cotabato.

“We have established holding centers in Barangay Upper Dado Elementary School where government doctors and nurses attend to patients. This is to avoid overcrowding the hospital facilities. We have enough doctors and nurses,” Mendoza said.

Dr. Eva Rabaya, provincial health chief, said the results of the laboratory test for water samples was not yet available as of Wednesday. Stool samples were taken from patients and were sent to laboratories in Kidapawan City and Davao City.

Mendoza said water contamination may have been the cause of the diarrhea which downed the victims. However, she said: “We are waiting for health authorities to determine what caused the contamination.”

Mendoza said a state of calamity had been declared in Alamada for the local government to use its calamity fund.

Relatives of the eight fatalities have been given financial aid, she said. (PNA)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • ePaper
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • Philippine Polls