Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 09:04 p.m.
THE leadership of the House of Representatives assured the passage of the proposed 2015 General Appropriations Act (GAA) before Congress takes a break on Friday, September 26.
House Majority Floor Leader Neptali Gonzales II said that the House will work over time starting Tuesday until Friday to approve next year's budget on second reading before they take a three-week break from September 27 to October 19.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 08:56 p.m.
ALLIES of President Benigno Aquino III in the ruling Liberal Party (LP) are among the top beneficiaries of the controversial Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) in Congress, said a list posted by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) on its website.
Navotas City Representative Toby Tiangco, secretary-general of the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA), said based on the DBM list, former Cavite representative and now Transportation and Communication Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya topped the list of DAP recipients in the House of Representatives with P408 million.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 08:18 p.m.
GAUHATI, India -- Landslides and flash floods triggered by two days of heavy rain have killed at least 28 people in India's remote northeast, officials said Tuesday.
At least 14 people have been killed in northern Meghalaya state. Another 14 deaths were reported in neighboring Assam state, where several districts, including the capital, Gauhati, were flooded.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 07:27 p.m.
JUSTICE Secretary Leila de Lima welcomed on Tuesday the decision of a Pasig City judge to inhibit from the serious illegal detention case filed by actor-television host Vhong Navarro.
In a text message, de Lima said she appreciated Judge Paz Esperanza Cortes' move following the "highly questionable" granting of bail to businessman Cedric Lee, model-stylist Deniece Cornejo and Zimmer Raz last week.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 07:00 p.m.
MALACANANG has already put an end to the issue about giving late strongman Ferdinand Marcos a hero's burial.
In a regular press briefing on Tuesday, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said that President Benigno Aquino III already stated before that Marcos could not be buried at Libingan ng mga Bayani.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 06:04 p.m.
THE Supreme Court (SC) turned down on Tuesday the proposal of the Office of the Ombudsman to create two special divisions at the Sandiganbayan to speed up the resolution of pork barrel scam cases.
The SC said the Ombudsman's reasons "lack sufficient basis" as it noted that the three Sandiganbayan divisions handling the cases "have shown competence" to deal with various issues presented before them.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 05:43 p.m.
FORTY-NINE out of 533 entries made it to the final nominations list of the Globe Cebu Media Excellence Awards (CMEA) to be held on September 25 at Cebu Marriott Hotel in celebration of the annual Cebu Press Freedom Week.
The awards pay tribute and give recognition to print, broadcast, and digital media practitioners who have excelled in their respective fields.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 05:29 p.m.
MALACANANG has expressed support on the Supreme Court's advocacy for judicial reform following the dismissal of Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Gregory Ong.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Palace welcomed SC's decision finding Ong guilty of gross misconduct, dishonesty and impropriety under the New Code of Judicial Conduct.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 04:24 p.m.
THE Aquino administration has approved the release of P565 million to the Local Water Utilities Administration (LWUA) for the continued development of potable water supply systems covering the poorest provinces in the country.
The fund release—sourced from LWUA’s Regular Appropriations under the 2014 National Budget—will support efforts on water source development and the construction of pumping stations and pipe lines, Budget Secretary Florencio Abad said.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 04:11 p.m.
MANILA (Updated) -- Sandiganbayan Associate Justice Gregory Ong's two-decade career in the judiciary ended in a sour note on Tuesday after he was fired by the Supreme Court (SC) for his links to alleged pork barrel scam mastermind Janet Napoles.
Ong, 61, was found guilty of gross misconduct, dishonesty and impropriety under the New Code of Judicial Conduct for the Philippine Judiciary.