43 arrested in cybersex raids

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 08:36 p.m.

PHILIPPINE authorities said they have arrested 43 suspected members of a syndicate that runs a lucrative online cybersex operation catering to clients worldwide.

The Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Commission said government agents arrested 43 men and women and seized 115 computers in raids on three locations late Wednesday in Dinalupihan town in Bataan province west of Manila.

Report: World to see more people displaced

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 07:51 p.m.

UNITED NATIONS -- Natural disasters displaced almost 22 million people around the world last year and aid workers said they expect to see that number rise in the future, according to a report issued by a Norwegian humanitarian group on Wednesday.

The study, authored by the Norwegian Refugee Council's Internal Displacement Monitoring Center, said that an average of 27 million people have been displaced each year since 2008 by natural disasters. Such displacement is estimated to have doubled in the past 40 years, as the world population grew and rapidly urbanized, the report added.

Binay speech likened to ‘campaigning’

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 07:30 p.m.

VICE President Jejomar Binay was accused by his critics of campaigning for the 2016 elections after he addressed the nation on Thursday to debunk allegations of corruption during his term as mayor of Makati City.

Immediately after Binay delivered his public address, lawyer Renato Bondal and Engr. Mario Hechanova, in a press conference in Pasay City, answered back the Vice President, describing his speech as a campaign speech for 2016.

DOJ indicts gunman in Pastor slay

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 06:47 p.m.

THE policeman allegedly hired to kill international racing champion Ferdinand "Enzo" Pastor will face murder charges in court even as he recanted statements admitting his participation in the June 12 crime.

In a resolution, Assistant State Prosecutor Susan Villanueva said Police Officer 2 Edgar Angel's sworn confessions and television interview were "straightforward and categorical" and made voluntarily.

15 areas under storm signal as ‘Mario’ approaches

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 06:41 p.m.

MANILA -- Public storm warning signals were hoisted in 15 areas in Luzon as Tropical Storm Mario (international name: Fung-Wong) maintained its strength while moving toward the northern part of the country, the state weather bureau said Thursday.

Palace: UP ‘mob’ incident vs Budget chief unfortunate

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 05:58 p.m.

MALACANANG said Thursday that the incident at the University of the Philippines (UP) where Budget Secretary Florencio Abad was mobbed by the protesters was unfortunate.

Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said that violence and threats should not have a place in the society.

DBM releases latest list of DAP recipients in Senate

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 05:40 p.m.

THE Department of Budget and Management (DBM) recently published the list of Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) that includes respective endorsers in the Senate.

Budget Secretary Florencio Abad set out the new list for the department's full transparency on the DAP, which was launched by the Aquino administration in 2011.

Radyo Veritas issues guidelines on Pope Francis' standee

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 05:15 p.m.

INDECENT poses, vulgar dresses and anything that is disrespectful are not allowed when taking pictures with Pope Francis' standee.

This was included in guidelines issued by Radyo Veritas, the producer of the more than 100 pontiff's standees to be displayed in churches, schools, among others.

Aquino: Gov’t addressing human rights complaints

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 04:47 p.m.

PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III has assured the international community that the Philippine government is addressing human rights complaints and is ready to apply the full force of the law against those who are found guilty of abuses and extrajudicial killings.

Aquino told the Egmont Institute in Belgium where he delivered a policy speech that his administration has taken steps to uphold human rights in the country and bring to the bar of justice the culprits.

Deniece Cornejo released on bail

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 04:31 p.m.

MODEL-STYLIST Deniece Cornejo, who is facing a serious illegal detention case in connection with the mauling of actor-television host Vhong Navarro last January 22, has been released on bail.

Ferdinand Topacio, legal counsel for Cornejo, said family and friends of Cornejo raised P500,000 to secure her temporary freedom.

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Obituary
  • Festivals
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sun.Star Zup!