Friday, August 1, 2014 - 06:57 p.m.
NO FILIPINO national were among the casualties in the gas explosion in Taiwan, wherein at least 25 people were killed and scores of others injured.
According to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), the Manila Economic and Cultural Office (MECO) has already reported the absence of any Filipino nationals in the tragedy that happened early Friday morning.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 06:18 p.m.
ACTRESS and television host Kris Aquino urged Friday the public to pray for President Benigno Aquino III that he stays alive and in good health.
Kris, the youngest sister of the President, made the call during a short message she delivered after the mass to commemorate the death anniversary of their mother, President Corazon Aquino.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 05:36 p.m.
THE Office of Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery (OPARR) submitted on Friday to President Benigno Aquino III a voluminous P170.9-billion comprehensive rehabilitation and recovery plan (CRRP) for 171 municipalities ravaged by Typhoon "Yolanda" late last year.
Aquino received the eight-volume report from OPARR Secretary Panfilo Lacson after the memorial mass in honor of late President Corazon Aquino at the Manila Memorial Park in Paranaque City.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 04:10 p.m.
KAOHSIUNG, Taiwan — At least 25 people were killed and 267 injured when underground gas explosions ripped through Taiwan's second-largest city, hurling concrete and cars through the air and blasting long trenches in the streets, authorities said Friday, as they searched for the cause.
The series of five explosions about midnight Thursday and early Friday struck a densely populated district where petrochemical companies operates pipelines alongside the sewer system in Kaohsiung, a southwestern port with 2.8 million people.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 03:56 p.m.
MANILA -- Fifteen Filipinos from Ebola-hit Sierra Leone have been placed under close watch from the Department of Health (DOH) over possible symptoms from the deadly disease after they recently returned to the country.
In a press briefing, the DOH said that 15 Filipinos that arrived in the country between June 26 to July 15 are being observed daily by the Health Emergency Management Staff (HEMS).
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 02:52 p.m.
MANILA -- The Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) urged anew overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Libya to come home immediately, especially now that they will not need exit visas from their employers anymore.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 02:43 p.m.
(Updated) AN INDEFINITE stay order was issued on Wednesday by the Supreme Court (SC) against the government's plan to build the common station interconnecting three railway lines in front of Ayala-owned Trinoma Mall instead of nearby SM North Edsa in Quezon City.
At the same time, the SC First Division chaired by Chief Justice Maria Lourdes Sereno ordered the Light Rail Transit Authority (LRTA) and the Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) to comment on the petition filed by SM Prime Holdings Inc. within 10 days.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 02:31 p.m.
MANILA -- Janet Napoles, the alleged brains in the pork barrel scam, was sent home from Sandiganbayan on Friday due to fever.
Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice and third division chairperson Associate Justice Amparo Cabotaje-Tang allowed Napoles to be excused from the hearing after her defense counsel, Dennis Buenaventura, informed the court that his client has fever for two consecutive days.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 02:18 p.m.
HANOI, Vietnam — Japan will provide Vietnam with six vessels as part of a grant aid package that will boost Hanoi's maritime security patrol capacity at a time the country is locked in a territorial standoff with China in the South China Sea.
The deal announced Friday for the six used vessels worth 500 million Yen ($5 million) was signed by Vietnam's Minister of Planning and Investment Bui Quang Vinh and Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, who is on a two-day visit for a cooperation conference.
Friday, August 1, 2014 - 01:40 p.m.
THE Supreme Court (SC) directed the Sandiganbayan third division to comment on the petition of lawyer Jessica Lucila "Gigi" Reyes seeking to end her detention and trial over the alleged misuse of the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).
Sandiganbayan Presiding Justice and third division chairperson Amparo Cabotaje-Tang and Associate Justices Samuel Martires and Alex Quiros have 10 days to comment on Reyes' petition, SC clerk of court Enriqueta Vidal said in a two-page resolution.