CA sustains order favoring Tulfo program-A A +A
Sunday, May 25, 2014
STATE censors have lost their bid to reverse a Court of Appeals (CA) decision last year nullifying the three-month suspension order against TV5’s “T3 Kapatid Sagot Kita” program hosted by brothers Raffy, Ben and Erwin Tulfo.
In a resolution, the CA former Sixth Division said there is no need to revisit the March 7, 2013 for failure of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) to present new arguments.
T3 was suspended by the MTRCB, previously headed by Senator Grace Poe, in 2012 for Tulfos’ statements against celebrity couple Raymart Santiago and Claudine Barretto, who figured in an airport scuffle with Ramon Tulfo, older brother of the hosts.
Describing the penalty as “too harsh,” the Court said in its decision that MTRCB’s action was "unwarranted and effectively constituting prior restraint."
It added the Tulfos were also suspended by the network as part of its duty of self-regulation.
"The significance of this act of self-regulation by TV5 is very crucial in our conclusion that the MTRCB imposed its power in a heavy handed manner and ignored the fact that TV5 franchise's, like that of other television networks, provides for concurrent rights and responsibilities," the CA said.
The MTRCB had said that it found probable cause to charge the show for violating Section 3(c) of Presidential Decree 1986 for “airing scenes and utterances that are indecent and contrary to law, or with a dangerous tendency to encourage the commission of violence, or of a wrong or crime." (Virgil Lopez/Sunnex)