DA eyeing 60M MT of rice harvest in next 3 years-A A +A
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
THE Aquino administration is targeting to produce close to 60 million metric tons (MT) of rice in the next three years as part of the government's commitment to attain rice self-sufficiency, the Department of Agriculture (DA) said Wednesday.
Agriculture Assistant Secretary for Field Operations and concurrent National Rice Program Director Edilberto de Luna said that the DA is shooting at producing 59,678,679 MT from 2014 to 2016.
To achieve this, he said Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala already mandated the DA to expand the area harvested for rice and to increase the yield per hectare to achieve rice self-sufficiency.
Rice production for the first quarter of 2014 was 4.3 million MT, 3.28 percent higher than the 4.17 million MT during the same period last year.
In 2013, the Philippines had its highest rice production in history at 18.44 metric tons, which translates to a 96 percent self-sufficiency.
In 2013, rice produced from 4,746,082 hectares (ha) was 18,439,406 MT, with a yield of 3.89 MT/ha.
This year, the DA is aiming at 19,070,249 MT of harvest from 4,829,420 ha, with an average output of 3.95 MT/ha.
For 2015, the DA will pursue 20,089,172 MT of rice from 4,918,672 ha, at a rate of 4.08 MT/ha.
In 2016, as it reaps 4.15 MT/ha, the department aspires to produce 20,519,258 from 4,945,439 ha, according to De Luna.
Region 3 (Central Luzon), the country’s rice granary, will continue to be the leading rice producing region, he added.
For this year, Central Luzon is expected to produce 3,524,558 MT of rice; 3,758,938 MT in 2015; and 3,822,968 MT in 2016.
Next to Central Luzon will be Cagayan Valley, which is anticipated to produce 2,504,984 MT of rice this year; 2,703,620 MT next year; and 2,770,427 MT the following year. (SDR/Sunnex)