Abad thanks Aquino for trust, confidence on him

-A A +A

Saturday, July 12, 2014


EMBATTLED Budget Secretary Florencio Abad expressed on Saturday gratitude to President Benigno Aquino III for the trust and confidence being given to him.

Abad made the statement after Aquino rejected his resignation following the Supreme Court's decision declaring parts of the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) as unconstitutional.

Abad was said to be the architect of DAP.

"Although I was wholly prepared to relinquish my post, I am grateful for the President's expression of his continuing trust and confidence in my leadership of the Department. I have thus chosen to defer to his better judgment and stay," the Budget chief said in a statement.

During the deliberation of the proposed 2015 budget on Friday in Malacanang, Aquino disclosed that Abad tendered his resignation last Thursday amid calls for him to resign. However, the President said he did not accept Abad's resignation, explaining that accepting it was tantamount to acknowledging wrongdoing on the part of Budget chief and in implementing DAP.

Abad said when he tendered his resignation, he was taking full responsibility for his role in developing and implementing the DAP, as well as for the impact of the resulting controversy on the administration's governance agenda.

With Aquino's decision rejecting his resignation, Abad said, "I am determined, as I have always been, to do justice to the President's faith in my integrity and competence."

He described developments over the last year as not merely instructive, but "they now spur us within the DBM to carry out our responsibilities with greater vigilance and meticulousness."

"I assure the people that we will proceed with a keener awareness of the standards against which our work will be measured, but also with a deeper appreciation of the great opportunities for reform ahead of us," Abad added.

In exercising his prerogative to decide on the resignation of Abad, the National Union of Peoples' Lawyers (NUPL), said the President must into account the "overwhelming Supreme Court decision and the public good."

"To defend a bad move is not only highly subjective, incorrigible and remorseless; it is also a preemptive act to divert his own accountability as an ardent author of DAP," the rights lawyers' said. (SDR/Sunnex)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Obituary
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls
  • ePaper
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • goodearth
  • Pacman blog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pnoy
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • Festivals