Aquino wants ‘Glenda’ casualties minimized-A A +A
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III ordered on Tuesday the concerned government agencies to ensure that casualties and hardship of the people would be minimize with Typhoon "Glenda" battering parts of the country.
Aquino made the directive when he met for over an hour members of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) in Camp Aguinaldo.
"Now again, I reiterate, the objective has to be: minimize the casualties and the hardship of our people. And tama iyong kaninang sinabi ng DILG (Department of Interior and Local Government), 'err on the side of caution'," he said.
"Saka na tayo magpaliwanag kung bakit naaabala sila rather than magpaliwanag tayo bakit nasa burol sila. That has to be very, very clear. There is a choice. Let's choose where the people become most safe rather than hope that they are safe," he said.
The President noted that the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police have been on full alert status and the logistics involved have also been prepositioned.
Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. earlier in the day said that government has been placed on full alert and has intensified preparations to achieve zero casualties.
The NDRRMC has mobilized the regional and local disaster risk reduction management units to undertake all the necessary actions to ensure the safety of all the citizens especially those living in near or within the danger zones or high-risk areas, he said.
"We enjoin our countrymen to remain vigilant and to heed the call of national and local government units on safety and precautionary measures until the projected exit of typhoon 'Glenda' from the Philippine Area of Responsibility on Friday, 18 July," Coloma said. (SDR/Sunnex)