Recto proposes increase of OFW aid fund in 2015 budget

-A A +A

Wednesday, August 6, 2014


SENATE President Pro-Tempore Ralph Recto said the proposed 2015 budget of P527 million for the assistance of Filipinos in distress abroad is grossly inadequate in light of unstable conditions in strife-vulnerable countries, which could anytime trigger the evacuation of overseas Filipino workers.

Recto said the emergency assistance fund for OFWs should be raised to at least P1-billion, even as he described the amount as "a drop in the bucket or one-tenth of one percent of the P1.115 trillion pesos" that overseas Filipinos remitted through normal channels last year.

The emergency fund for OFWs should be a dividend of what they plowed back last year, he said.

Funds, which can be tapped to assist an estimated 10 million Filipino nationals abroad, are lodged in three items in the proposed P2.6 trillion national budget for next year.

The biggest is the Assistance to Nationals Fund or ATN Fund managed by the Department of Foreign Affairs. It has a proposed funding of P350 million next year, up from P300 million this year.

The Department of Labor and Employment has two programs: Welfare Services to OFWS with a proposed budget of P187.7 million, and an Emergency Repatriation Program for which P50 million has been budgeted.

"In all, there's this kitty of P537 million which the government can dip into in helping a Filipino who is in trouble with the law or Filipinos who must be evacuated from places in turmoil," Recto said.

"This comes up to about P1.48 million a day. Kulang na kulang. Kung P20,000 ang pamasahe sa eroplano ng isang OFW na maysakit, na kailangan ibalik sa Pilipinas, mga 70 lang kada araw ang kayang pauwiin. Eh sa Middle East pa lang daang libo na ang backlog," Recto said.

In a world where civil strife could worsen living conditions of OFWs and trigger their evacuation overnight, as in the case of Libya, the amount cannot fund their mass departure, Recto said.

"Sapat ba ang pondo na pang-arkila ng barko tulad sa kaso ngayon sa Libya? Do we have funds to charter planes in the event that we need to bring Filipinos out of the next hot spot?" Recto said.

"Kung merong 13,122 OFWs sa Libya at sa kahit P10,000 lang ang ayuda bawat isa, aabot na ng P131 milyon ang kakailanganin. Dyan pa lang said na ang ATN fund natin," he said.

Recto said the ATN Fund is also "tapped to help Filipinos battling challenging circumstances as diverse as being in trouble with the law, or victimized by abusive employers, or incapacitated by a debilitating disease."

An estimated 3,732 Filipinos were languishing in jails in 53 countries at the beginning of last year. (Camille P. Balagtas/Sunnex)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Obituary