55 Chinese nationals detained for lack of working permits

-A A +A

Wednesday, August 20, 2014


BUREAU of Immigration (BI) agents arrested on Tuesday 55 Chinese nationals believed to have been working without proper permits.

The Chinese nationals, who were nabbed in raids in Manila, Quezon City and Malabon through a tip by the BI's anonymous source, are allegedly working in construction sites and retail establishments illegally.

BI spokesperson Elaine Tan said Wednesday these raids are part of the bureau's ongoing campaign to curb the number of foreigners suspected of working in the Philippines without the necessary documents.

"All apprehended subjects are presently being investigated whether the initial information against them are true," said Tan, adding the arrested foreigners are currently at the bureau's holding center in Bicutan, Taguig City.

"If the foreign national fails to present any document to support his employment, he will be issued the necessary charge sheet and will eventually be deported," Tan said.

She said that the efforts to identify the "bad guys" among foreigners in the Philippines are a work in progress.

"Based on our records, the 'bad guys' only comprise one percent of the foreign national population in the country. However, as their numbers are very minimal, the chance of locating them at the point of entry is like finding a needle in a haystack," Tan said.

The BI is presently pushing for a law to allow the Advance Passenger Information System to provide identification of the "bad guys" before their aircraft lands in the Philippines.

It is also planning to coordinate with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to formulate measures in screening foreigners prior to issuance of entry visas to the Philippines.

Last week, the Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP) asked the Senate and the House of Representatives to act on resolutions seeking to conduct an inquiry on the issue.

Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago called for a hearing as early as December last year while TUCP party-list Representative Democrito Mendoza filed a similar resolution last February.

"There is indeed a clear, continuing and growing violation of our domestic laws. This undermines the job security in the country, as they compete with the already limited jobs generated for the Filipinos in our homeland," said TUCP spokesperson Alan Tanjusay.

He added that the presence of the illegal foreign workers has forced local job seekers to either seek employment abroad or just remain unemployed. (Sunnex)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Calamity Report
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Habemus Papam
  • goodearth
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog