Report: Bus crash kills 33 near Egyptian resort

-A A +A

Friday, August 22, 2014


CAIRO -- Egypt's state news agency said a head-on collision of two tourist buses near a popular Red Sea resort has killed 33 people and injured 41.

MENA said the accident occurred early Friday about 50 kilometers (30 miles) from Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula. The buses were coming from opposite directions and collided head-on on the main road. The cause of the accident was not immediately known.

Khaled Abu Hashem, chief of the local emergency services, said four foreigners — a 20-year-old Ukranian woman, a Yemeni man and a Saudi woman and child — were among those injured but that their injuries were light.

Traffic accidents are common in Egypt due to badly maintained roads and disregard of traffic laws. Road accidents killed about 13,000 people in Egypt last year. (AP)

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • tell it to sunstar
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Habemus Papam
  • ePaper