Palace: No report of Pinoys recruited into Isis-A A +A
Monday, August 25, 2014
MANILA -- The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will coordinate with Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte regarding the supposed recruitment of some young Dabawenyos by a rebel group in Iraq and Syria, a Palace official said Monday.
Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, quoting Lieutenant Colonel Ramon Zagala, AFP public affairs office chief, however, maintained that so far, there was no confirmed information regarding the recruitment of Filipinos to Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (Isis).
"Per our intel(ligence) units, there is none. We treat information only accurate if validated and so far, there are no report nor names of Filipinos that are in the Middle East fighting for Isis," Zagala said.
"We will coordinate if need be with Mayor Duterte so we may process the info and validate it," he added.
Duterte earlier confirmed that young Dabawenyos left Davao City a month ago. He is concerned about the unidentified number of Dabawenyos who were recruited last month.
"Dako man ko respeto basta prinsipyo na. (I have a lot of respect as long as it's for principle.) I just hope dili ma generate into something bad for us here. They are driven by religious principles. Islam is a very good religion. I just hope that they are there to fight for religious purposes and not for hatred. I just hope that they are well there. Whatever it is, they are still Filipinos," he said.
Duterte said what concerned him more is the possibility that the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters has pledged allegiance to the Isis.(SDR/ANC/Sunnex)