Slain OFW's remains return to PH-A A +A
Sunday, August 31, 2014
THE body of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) allegedly beheaded by Libyan militants arrived in the Philippines at 10:30 p.m. Saturday.
The Foreign Affairs department said the remains of Antonio Espares were repatriated via land route from Tripoli, arriving in Tunisia late last week, before being boarded on a commercial flight bound for Ninoy Aquino International Airport.
On July 15, Espares was abducted and killed by suspected militants in Benghazi, Libya. His decomposed body was found in a hospital.
The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli and the Rapid Response Team have been coordinating with the hospital and the OFW’s employer to repatriate the remains and to facilitate remittance of employment and death benefits.
Espares’ death came amid the escalation of hostilities in Libya, which earlier prompted the Foreign Affairs department to raise Crisis Alert Level 4 in the strife-torn country. [Read the related story.]
He is the first Filipino casualty since the civil strife erupted anew in the North African state since the first civil war that toppled Moammar Gadhafi's regime in 2011.
To register for repatriation, the DFA said Filipinos in Libya can directly get in touch with the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, which is located at KM 7 Gargaresh Road, Abu Nawas, PO Box 12508, Tripoli.
Also, Filipinos there can contact the Embassy through the telephone numbers (00218) 918-244-208 / (00218) 911061166, and the e-mail addresses firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com. (HDT/Sunnex)