Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 03:48 p.m.
UNITED NATIONS — The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Friday night to secure and destroy Syria's chemical weapons stockpile, a landmark decision aimed at taking poison gas off the battlefield in the escalating 2 1/2-year conflict.
The vote after two weeks of intense negotiations marked a major breakthrough in the paralysis that has gripped the council since the Syrian uprising began. Russia and China previously vetoed three Western-backed resolutions pressuring President Bashar Assad's regime to end the violence.
Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 01:44 p.m.
LOCAL government units (LGUs) have been warned Saturday they face election charges if they refuse to set aside funds to help shoulder the expenses for next month's barangay polls.
Commission on Elections (Comelec) Chairman Sixto Brillantes said Resolution 9739 directs all LGUs nationwide to set aside at least P10,000 to help cover the expenses for the October 28 elections.
Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 12:47 p.m.
THE House committee on public information has scheduled its first hearing on the proposed freedom of information (FOI) bill on October 22, advocates of the pro-transparency measure said.
"The hearing is set on October 22 in the afternoon. No commitment to pass but there was a commitment to discuss," Diwa party-list Representative Emmeline Aglipay said in a text message.
Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:52 a.m.
MANILA (Updated)-- A deadly three-week standoff between government troops and the followers of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) leader Nur Misuari, who held nearly 200 people hostage in the Zamboanga City, has ended with all of the captives safe, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said Saturday.
"I can say that the crisis is over. We have accomplished the mission," Gazmin told The Associated Press by telephone from Zamboanga, where he helped oversee a government offensive and hostage rescue mission by about 4,500 government troops and police.
Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 11:14 a.m.
MUMBAI, India - At least 25 people have been confirmed dead in a collapsed apartment building in India's financial capital of Mumbai, while rescuers have saved 32 others trapped under the rubble, authorities said Saturday.
The five-story building caved in early Friday morning near Dockyard Road in Mumbai's southeast, trapping dozens and launching an intense search mission.
Saturday, September 28, 2013 - 10:17 a.m.
MANILA -- "Will you please be my wife?"
This was an odd question to hear during the rather serious deliberations of the House of Representatives on the proposed national budget of the government for 2014.
Friday, September 27, 2013 - 11:44 p.m.
VIENNA -- Iranian and UN officials held a "constructive" meeting on resuming a probe of allegations that Tehran has worked on atomic arms, officials said Friday, in talks seen as a test of pledges by Iran's new president to reduce nuclear tensions.
The upbeat assessment and an agreement to meet again October 28 was a departure from the deadlock left by previous meetings over nearly two years.
Friday, September 27, 2013 - 09:11 p.m.
TWO male persons were shot and wounded in two separate shooting incidents in Cebu City.
The first victim, identified as Reynald Ian Benlot, a resident of Barangay Basak San Nicolas, was mauled and shot around 12:05 a.m. Friday by five unidentified drunk men in Sitio Kalapukan, Barangay Sambag I.
Friday, September 27, 2013 - 08:22 p.m.
A 45-YEAR-OLD man was shot to death after “swindling” a woman Thursday evening at Sitio Lower Bacayan, Barangay Bacayan, Cebu City.
The victim was identified as Vicente Rivera, married and a stay-in company driver of New Culion Builders, while the suspect was identified as Jun Mark Ortiz, 22, single, a landscaper. Both were residents of Sitio Lower Bacayan.
Friday, September 27, 2013 - 07:28 p.m.
THREE thieves who remained unidentified as of this posting Friday are subject of a manhunt operation after they were caught on closed circuit television (CCTV) camera stealing a bag from a salon in Cebu City.
The incident took place around 4 p.m. Thursday at Pony Salon in Junquera St., Barangay Santa Cruz, Cebu City, after the thieves, pretending to be customers, broke into the establishment.