Power utility appeals to conserve energy-A A +A
Friday, October 19, 2012
CAGAYAN Electric Power and Light Company Inc. (Cepalco) is appealing to the public to conserve energy amid deteriorating power supply resulting in the implementation of rotational brownouts in some parts of Mindanao.
In a letter circulated to member-companies of the Cagayan de Oro Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation Inc. (OroChamber) dated October 16, Cepalco said energy conservation by its concessionaires would avert power interruptions within its service area.
Other key cities in Mindanao, especially in Butuan City, Agusan del Sur, Cotabato, Davao areas, among others, have been experiencing power curtailments four to six hours daily due to shortage in power following the forced shutdown of two coal-fired power plants of the Steag State Power Inc. (SPI) based in Misamis Oriental.
Cepalco reiterated, however, that its service area "still enjoys continuous supply of power because of its independent power producer, Minergy.”
Cepalco also enjoins its customers to make a concerted effort in conserving electricity and help mitigate the power supply shortage.
The power distributor released some tips that customers can do to save electricity such as turning off of unnecessary lights, use of energy efficient lamps such as compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and light-emitting diode (LED), and cleaning of lamps or bulbs regularly because dirt lessens illumination by as much as 50 percent.
Other tips are the following:
* Have all ingredients ready when cooking to avoid frequently switching on and off the electric stove.
* Switch the electric stove to "low" when the food begins to boil.
* Turn off the electric stove during the last minutes of cooking. The remaining heat will make the food simmer.
* Do all the ironing at one time.
* Dampen clothes moderately. Excessively moistened clothes take longer to iron.
* Switch off the electric iron in the last few minutes of ironing. There is enough heat to press other items.
* Choose a refrigerator model suited to your family needs.
* Defrost the refrigerator regularly.
* Open the refrigerator door only when needed.
* Load your refrigerator gradually.
* Do not overstuff the refrigerator.
* Limit the number of hours of running your air conditioning unit.
* Make sure that the thermostat is working efficiently.
* Install the unit in the coolest part of the room.
* Switch off the TV set when no one is watching.
* Turn off the electric fan when not in use.
* If comfortable enough, set the fan to "low."
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on October 20, 2012.