7 Smart ways to jumpstart an exciting school year-A A +A
Thursday, May 29, 2014
THE long, worry-free days of summer vacation may be winding down, but this does not mean your good times should end, too. After all, the coming school year presents a lot of opportunities to take on new challenges, discover and develop your talents, as well as meet new friends who share your interests and passions.
Here are seven ways to jumpstart an exciting school year and make sure you’ll have an epic ride:
1. Rank your subjects and determine which study habits work for you. Here’s the time to look at your last report card and see which subjects you should prioritize this time. And then, assess whether you’re the type who covers more things at crunch time, or the type who needs a relaxed pace to absorb new concepts. Do you work better alone or in study groups? Do gadgets help you or distract you? School life is a balancing act. Determining which methods work for you is the key to your academic success.
2. Sign up with school organizations. Learning should not be confined within the four walls of the classrooms or buried in the pages of textbooks. Whether you have a knack for sports, or a talent in singing, dancing or acting, take the chance to join school clubs or organizations. Being part of school groups not only enhances your talent and skills, but also helps you tap your leadership skills.
3. Expand your social circles. Having your own close-knit group of friends should not prevent you from connecting to more people. Meeting new people who share your passions and beliefs opens doors for interaction, and helps you build your social skills. So get out there and meet new friends with whom you can share your knowledge and experiences.
4. Join school competitions. Nothing helps you bond more with your peers than joining a school competition. The long hours of rehearsals and preparations can be a challenge, but the fun and fulfillment that comes with working toward a single goal is all worth it.
5. Get into volunteer work. If you’re passionate toward a cause and itching to make a difference, don’t hesitate to join volunteer groups. Whether it’s for teaching public school students basic Math or simply cleaning your community, volunteering opens your mind to the concerns of the people around you and allows you to make a real difference in their lives while inspiring others to the same.
6. Connect with the rest of the world. Today’s technology allows for a quick flow of knowledge and information. Aside from doing research online, take a step further by collaborating with your counterparts from different parts of the world using social networking sites or online groups, as well as engaging in discussions with experts and leaders.
7. Arm yourself with the right tools. It’s not just about having a complete set of school supplies and gadgets. It’s also about making sure you have the right SIM card on your handset for all your communication needs – from connecting with your new peers at school to tapping ultrafast internet on your device so that you can surf for school work and stay active on your social network accounts at student-friendly rates.
Available at only PHP15, the Smart Jump-IN LTE SIM is specially designed to give you a wide array of exclusive offerings for call, text and data services that certainly won’t make a dent on your school allowance.
For example, you may take advantage of Jump All Out 50, which gives you sure load for five days for only PHP50: Each day you may enjoy 30 minutes of calls to five barkada numbers on Smart, Talk ‘N Text and Sun, unlimited texts to all networks, and 10MB of data surfing - by simply texting JUMP50 to 5867. What’s more, your unused call minutes and data allocation shall also be carried over to the following day so you’ll make the most of your load.
Smart Jump In also gives you exciting perks in its line-up of school activities, fairs and competitions throughout the year– all geared toward inspiring you to let go of your hesitations and jump in to life’s moments.
For more information on Smart Jump In offerings, as well as Smart Jump-In activities for the youth, simply like the Smart Jump In official Facebook page (www.facebook.com/SmartJumpIn) or visit www.smartjumpin.com.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on May 29, 2014.