NorMin’s rice sufficiency down to 61%

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:28 a.m.

NORTHERN Mindanao’s rice sufficiency level decreased to 61 percent compared to the same period last year at 64 percent.

The decrease was highlighted in the regional economic situationer released Wednesday by the Regional Development Council-Northern Mindanao (RDC-10) for the second quarter of this year.

BIR, Customs lauded for double-digit growth

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:27 a.m.

THE efforts to remind the public regularly and initiate stress fee collection processes of the Bureau of Internal Revenue-Northern Mindanao (BIR 10) seems to be paying off, according to the 2nd quarter data released by the Regional Development Council–10.

“It has been 14 consecutive quarters of double digits for the BIR-10 under the new administration,” says Engr. Cecilio Clarete, chief economic development specialist of National Economic and Development Authority-10.

Oro grenade blast kills 1, hurts 3 cops

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:26 a.m.

POLICE officers who were trying to arrest a man allegedly involved in illegal drugs in Barangay Bulua Tuesday evening got wounded after the suspect's grenade exploded before he could lob it to the arresting officers.

Jamael “Palito” Macarampat lost his left arms and died Tuesday evening after a grenade exploded in his hand. The police officers were arresting him for a violation of Republic Act 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Bizman insists gov’t loans are public docs

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:16 a.m.

THERE’S no reason for the Cagayan de Oro City Government not to reveal its bank documents, particularly its loan transactions, since these are public records and going over them will not violate any banking law, said businessman James Giam Wednesday.

Giam owns the 2,180-square meter property in Barangay Gusa which was used as collateral in a series of loans made to the Land Bank of the Philippines by the city government which totaled roughly to P1 billion during former mayor Vicente Emano’s term.

Coast Guard starts probe on ill-fated ferry

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:16 a.m.

SURIGAO CITY – Coast Guard officials from Manila have started to investigate the ill-fated marine vessel Maharlika 2.

The maritime investigation – spearheaded by Commodore Gilbert S. Rueras, commander of the Coast Guard’s Maritime Safety Services based in Manila – began Tuesday afternoon at the Lipata Port here, according to Noel M. Torralba, local substation commander of Philippine Coast Guard.

DA to award 'Gawad Saka 2014' nominees

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:14 a.m.

THE Department of Agriculture Regional Field Unit 10 will recognize the four regional finalists who are qualified for the National Gawad Saka Awards 2014 on September 25-26, 2014.

“We have conducted evaluation and out of the 10 we recommended, they are qualified to represent the region for the two categories,” the DA-10 said in a statement.

City plans birthday bash for senior citizens

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:58 a.m.

THE City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD) is planning another unlikely privilege that will surely draw smiles to the graying population in the city.

A festive birthday bash has been mapped by the CWSD's Office of Senior Citizens Affairs (Osca) to promote rights and show sincere importance for the senior citizens in the city.

‘Tourism Week’ to promote top destinations in MisOr

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:55 a.m.

THE Misamis Oriental government, together with officials from the different municipalities of the province, convened at Centrio Mall on Monday, September 15, to formally open the Tourism Week in the region.

According to the Department of Tourism (DOT), Misamis Oriental has been visited by many tourists in the past months and is continually attracting visitors despite tagging Mindanao as dangerous.

Ultra-rightist group leader denies harassment

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:52 a.m.

THE leader of the controversial United States Allied Freedom Fighters of the East (USAFFE) group denied Tuesday that some of his members harassed a resident in Barangay Tablon as alleged by City Councilor Alden Bacal.

Lawyer Ely Pamatong, commander in chief of the USAFFE, said Tuesday that Ramil Lumongsod was not verbally assaulted contrary to what Bacal reported during the City Council session late Monday afternoon.

Retrieval on for missing ferry passengers

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:35 a.m.

SURIGAO CITY -- From search and rescue, authorities have shifted to retrieval operations for the still unaccounted passengers of the ill-fated M/V Maharlika 2 since Monday evening.

Captain Joseph Coyme, deputy district commander of the Philippine Coast Guard in Northern Mindanao, told reporters they were still looking for some passengers of the ferry that sank off Southern Leyte on Saturday.

Suspects in lumad activist slaying named

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:34 a.m.

AUTHORITIES have identified the men suspected of gunning down Fausto Orasan, a tribal chieftain in Cagayan de Oro who was a staunch illegal mining and logging activist here.

Lumbia police chief Senior Inspector Allan Curato confirmed to Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro Tuesday afternoon by phone that they already tagged two personalities as Orasan's suspected triggermen.

City Council special report dropped

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:33 a.m.

A CAGAYAN de Oro City councilor is dismayed over the decision of the majority members of the council to drop her special report that has to do with the ongoing deliberation of the 2015 Revenue Code.

Councilor Lourdes Candy Darimbang failed to deliver her special report after presiding officer Ramon Tabor said her report doesn't warrant any urgency.

Ferry sinking death toll rises to 8

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 12:48 a.m.

SURIGAO CITY (Updated) – The death toll from the ferry that sank off Leyte on Saturday evening reached eight after the Philippine Navy recovered five more bodies on Monday.

The roll-on-roll-off vessel M/V Maharlika II began to list in choppy water and strong winds off San Ricardo in Southern Leyte last Saturday.

Mayor denies bizman’s request to release city bank records

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 11:48 p.m.

THE rule of law must prevail over political animosity or even friendship.

This is how Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno summed up his position on the statement of a landowner who is now fighting a legal battle against the City Government over what the latter considered a breach of contract committed by former mayor Vicente Emano.

Oro village chiefs okay with 6-year term

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 11:48 p.m.

SOME of Cagayan de Oro City's village chiefs have welcomed with much eagerness the proposed legislation extending the term of barangay officials from three to six years.

Senate Bill 2390, also known as an Act Extending the Term of Barangay Officials to Six Years, was recently filed by Senator Teofisto “TG” Guingona III.

City lays down poverty reduction plan

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 11:46 p.m.

WITH the growing population of people who are living below the poverty threshold, leaders from various sectors in Cagayan de Oro have traced the roots of the "answer" to gradually alleviate what is common among communities in the country and the world at large.

Education, the leaders agreed, is the core in poverty reduction.

Van loses control; 1 killed

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 01:56 a.m.

ONE person was killed after a van allegedly carrying illegally cut hardwood lumber skidded and overturned into a road corner along the national highway on Sunday.

The accident happened in Barangay Poblacion in Binuangan town, Misamis Oriental at past 9 a.m. Sunday.

Illegal mining, logging eyed in tribal chief’s slay

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 01:55 a.m.

FIGHTING against illegal miners and loggers may have cost the life of a tribal leader who was killed in an upland village in Cagayan de Oro, authorities said Sunday.

Senior Inspector Allan Curato, Lumbia police chief, said they are looking at the angle of illegal mining and logging activities as the primary motive in the killing of Fausto Orasan, who’s also known as Datu Sandigan.

P7-M worth of ‘shabu’ busted in Bukidnon

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 01:54 a.m.

AUTHORITIES seized alleged illegal drugs worth millions of pesos in a single operation conducted over the weekend in a town in Bukidnon.

About 1.5 kilograms of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride (shabu) with an estimated value of P7 million were intercepted by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency in northern Mindanao (PDEA-10) at Purok 2, Central Poblacion in Kalilangan town in Bukidnon around 2 p.m. on Friday, September 12.

Mulawan’s lawyer to seek CA’s intervention

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 01:53 a.m.

THE legal counsel of Cagayan de Oro Water District (COWD) employee whose case was provisionally dismissed by a Cavite judge is going to seek the intervention of the higher court to stop the enforcement of the arrest warrant of his client.

Lawyer Edgardo Cabanlas said they would ask the Court of Appeals (CA) for an injunction to stop the implementation of the warrant that was issued by Judge Perla Fallar of the Regional Trial Court-Branch 90 in Imus, Cavite last week, after approving a motion filed by Prosecutor Emmanuel Rivera to revive the case against Emmanuel Mulawan Sr.

Sunken ferry survivors say rescue took so long

Monday, September 15, 2014 - 01:47 a.m.

SURVIVORS of the ill-fated roll-on, roll-off ferry, MV Maharlika 2, said rescue operations took so long they thought all of them would die on Saturday while battling the rough seas for at least five hours, most of that in the dark.

Thirty-nine year old Sarah Andil of Cotabato City, suffered a leg injury for having jumped out of the sinking ferry when the boat captain, Juan Cayago, ordered them to “abandon ship” at 5:30 p.m. The order came three hours and thirty minutes after the ferry experienced steering problems, she said.

Motion to revive water district worker's case okayed

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 12:27 a.m.

IN LESS than three weeks since his release from prison due to a rape charge that was provisionally dismissed by the court, a Cagayan de Oro Water District (COWD) employee said an arrest warrant will soon be issued anew against him after a motion was filed for the revival of the same case.

“This is clearly a retaliation for the exposés I’ve made,” was how Emmanuel Mulawan Sr., COWD senior draftsman, described the ordeal he had gone through after spending 77 days inside the prison in Imus, Cavite, for the crime that he said he did not commit. [READ: Arrested COWD employee writes family his ordeal]

Subpoena out for cybercrime suspect

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 12:26 a.m.

A SUBPOENA has already been issued to a British national who has allegedly committed a number of offenses, especially violation of the cybercrime law, the complainant’s legal counsel said Friday.

Lawyer Edgardo Cabanlas, who represents Jahnn Kirby Binayao, said suspect Alexander Loukaides will have to face the court once he receives the subpoena.

Police, DepEd beef up anti-drug campaign in schools

Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 12:25 a.m.

THE Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Education (DepEd) in Northern Mindanao have urged parents to join them in promoting an intensive anti-drug campaign to refrain students from using illegal substances.

Superintendent Danildo Tumanda, deputy city director for administration of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo), said this anti-drug campaign is part of the advocacy in line with the Crime Prevention Month observed every September.

Suspect in Oro jewelry heist shot dead in Ozamiz

Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:20 a.m.

ONE of the suspected perpetrators in the jewelry heist inside a mall in Cagayan de Oro died after being shot by a group of unidentified suspects in Ozamiz City in Misamis Occidental Wednesday morning.

Chief Inspector Michael Bayawan, Ozamiz City police station commander, confirmed to Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro via text message Thursday evening that Joliven "Benjo" Boniao, 32, died after four to six men fired at him several times while he was sleeping in a dark alley at Purok Bagong Silang in Barangay Tinago, Ozamiz City around 10:20 a.m. Wednesday.

BFAR: 'El Nino' won't affect fish yield

Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:18 a.m.

A LONG dry spell, or “El Niño,” won’t have that much impact on the fish production in the region, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources-Northern Mindanao (BFAR-10) said Thursday.

Asuncion Maputol, BFAR-10 assistant regional director, said since the El Niño phenomenon has been experienced in the country decades ago, and it had no adverse effect on the fishery sector.

Families of captive soldiers seek truce

Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:18 a.m.

AFTER the New People's Army (NPA) voiced its plans to free two soldiers who were captured last August 22 in Bukidnon, families of Jerrel Yorong and Marnel Cinches, have asked the government to suspend its military and police operations for the smooth turnover of the captives.

Yorong's sister Genieve Yorong-Tagadiad and Cinches's aunt Ana Curita Tare told reporters Thursday afternoon the freedom of the captives can only be fully achieved if ceasefire will be declared in time of their release.

Cogon vendors push for market improvement

Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:16 a.m.

VENDORS of the city’s main public market at Cogon organized themselves to form cooperatives for each section, according to City Economic Enterprise Department (CEED) manager Engr. Peter Abejuela.

“The vendors mismo, wanted to have coop sa kada grupo (section). Kami diri sa CEED, dili kami nag-initiate, pero we supported them because they want their needs to be addressed and when it comes to problems with the market, kabalo na sad mi kinsa among i-tap for a certain concern,” Abejuela said.

No NorMin OFWs affected yet on new Lebanon law

Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:16 a.m.

IN LIGHT of a new policy issued by a Middle Eastern country regarding the deportation of migrant workers and their children, the region’s Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (Owwa-10) said it has not yet received any report that Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) employed there have been affected by this law.

Harry Borres, Owwa-10 acting regional director, said that so far no OFWs from northern Mindanao are deported from Lebanon due to this new ruling.

New 4ID chief: ‘Our job here is to win peace’

Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 02:04 a.m.

THE newly sworn in commanding officer of the Philippine Army’s 4th Infantry Division (4ID) based in Cagayan de Oro City encourages his troops to perform military operations in establishing peace without violating any human rights.

“We perform without human rights violation. Our job here is to win peace, so we must establish peace among the people we are protecting,” said Major General Oscar Lactao, who replaced Major General Ricardo Visaya as 4ID chief, in his speech during the turn-over ceremony held at Camp Evangelista in Barangay Patag on Wednesday, September 10.

FOREX: US$ 1.00 = PhP 44.157

Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas

Philippine Lotto Results

Gamesort iconCombinations
Superlotto 6/4925-28-09-17-35-18
6Digit6-9-7-1-5-3
Swertres Lotto 11AM0-4-6
Swertres Lotto 4PM4-7-8
Swertres Lotto 9PM5-4-1
More results

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro front page for September 19, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Obituary
  • Festivals
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sun.Star Zup!