Health department notes hike in dengue cases-A A +A
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
THE Department of Health (DOH) in Northern Mindanao noted an increase of dengue cases towards the end of July.
Data from the Epidemiology, Surveillance, and Disaster Response Unit of DOH reveals that new cases were added to the previous cases of 2,112 as of July 20.
Based on the region-wide hospital records, 192 new cases were recorded, bringing to a total of 2,304 cases from July 21 to 30 with no reported deaths.
Dr. David Mendoza, chief of the epidemiology unit, said the figure is 109.45 percent higher compared to the same period in 2011, which was only 1,100.
Mendoza said Misamis Oriental topped the highest among the provinces with 74.70 percent of the regional total.
The towns of Jasaan and Tagoloan in Misamis Oriental also posted the highest admissions with 2.90 percent and 2.70 percent, respectively and the highest increase in 2012 compared to the same period last year. It was then followed by Bukidnon with 12.20 percent; Lanao del Norte with 9.10 percent; Misamis Occidental at 3.60 percent and Camiguin with only 0.40 percent.
Meanwhile, Cagayan de Oro has the highest increase with 54.60 percent followed by Iligan City, 6.50 percent and Valencia with 2.40 percent.
Mendoza said dengue is an acute viral infection and considered as major health concern, especially during the month of June to September as warm humid weather and stagnant water provide a perfect breeding ground for dengue carrier mosquitoes. (Abigail Chee Kee Malalis)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 07, 2012.