Zubiri to seek reelection in 2013-A A +A
Thursday, August 9, 2012
FORMER senator Juan Miguel Zubiri urged Kagay-anons on Wednesday to vote for representatives from the region in the 2013 midterm elections, as he vowed to vote for Senator Aquilino Pimentel despite their “political conflicts.”
Zubiri, who resigned as senator last year, said it would be better if more representatives from Mindanao will make it to the Senate so that more projects and bigger budget will be given for the region.
He said at present, out of 24 senators, 19 are from Luzon while only five come from Mindanao and Visayas.
“Hopefully, in the next election, more representatives will come from our island,” Zubiri said during a press conference held recently in Cagayan de Oro.
He said he would still campaign for Pimentel even if the latter would not want him to be a part of his party.
“I am very happy that Pimentel, who is from Mindanao, replaced me. He was able to prioritize more projects for the improvement of our Island,” Zubiri said, expressing hope that he and Pimentel will still be together in 2013.
During the press conference, Zubiri also announced his plans to run in next year’s elections.
The Bukidnon-native said he will run under the Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino after he was personally invited by Vice President Jejomar Binay.
If he wins, Zubiri said he will prioritize his four platforms of governance, which are environment, food security, education and health.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 10, 2012.