Power firm liable on minor’s death-A A +A
Wednesday, September 5, 2012
THE Philippine National Police (PNP) said Tuesday that Cagayan Electric Power and Light Company (Cepalco) is liable for the death of a minor who was electrocuted from an electric post it owned in Tagoloan town, Misamis Oriental.
Tagoloan Municipal Police Station chief Inspector Maricris Mulat told Sun.Star that Cepalco has already been informed many times about the problem of their electric post erected along the riverside, which was already grounded.
“The post was submerged in the river so if you would step on the water, you would be electrocuted,” Mulat said.
On Sunday, 15-year-old Dennis Rodman Itom died after he was electrocuted when he went to the river to get some seashells around 4 p.m.
Mulat said Itom is not a resident of the area and was not aware of the grounded electric post.
The victim was rushed to the hospital but was declared dead on arrival by attending doctors.
Initial investigation showed that residents of Purok 14 Kibulda, Barangay Poblacion in Tagoloan town refused to pass at the river because of the electric post, which is reportedly grounded since 2009.
Police said the problem has already been reported to Cepalco several times but allegedly, no action has been taken.
When sought for comment, personnel from Cepalco’s sub-station in Tagoloan declined to give further statement regarding the incident.
However, Mulat said Cepalco has shouldered the hospital expenses and payments at the funeral home.
The power company has also extended financial assistance to the family of the victim.
“It means Cepalco admitted it was their fault. I sensed that they themselves know they have a liability,” Mulat said.
It was learned that Cepalco has conducted its own separate investigation and even acted on the problem as personnel already isolated the electric post.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 05, 2012.