AFTER hitting its annual target in 2014, the Bureau of Customs (BOC)-Northern Mindanao has upped its collection for this year.
Last year, the BOC attained more than its P8 billion target by earning an excess of P188 million, or a .26 increase from its projected revenue, said lawyer Roswald Joseph Pague, BOC-Northern Mindanao administrative officer.
THE lack of prosecutors in Northern Mindanao is one of the reasons the complaints filed by Iligan City Representative Vicente Belmonte against the suspects in the attempt on his life should be handled by the Department of Justice (DOJ) main office.
Since the provincial prosecutor’s office in Misamis Oriental is understaffed, Regional Prosecutor Jaime Umpa said over the weekend that it would be hard for the prosecutors to efficiently investigate the multiple murder and multiple frustrated murder complaints against the suspects.
WITH the removal of some items in the executive budget, a program aimed at promoting children’s rights would have to be discontinued in the meantime, a Cagayan de Oro City Government official said.
Accusing the City Council's majority bloc for failing to see “the essence of the program,” City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD) chief Teddy Sabugaa is dismayed over the decision of the majority councilors to delete the proposed P1-million fund for the "Search for Child-Friendly Barangay" from the 2015 executive budget.
TOPPING the Nursing Licensure Exam (NLE) is always a dream, but for the three of the five students from Xavier University who landed on top 10, it was not just a dream, but also a goal.
Xavier University together with St. Paul University in Iloilo City, Remedios T. Romualdez Medical Foundation and St. Paul University in Tuguegarao City has been ranked the top one performing schools in nursing as each garnered a 100 percent passing rate.
BEFORE the people’s initiative 30-day timeframe could lapse, Mayor Oscar Moreno will also be taking legal action against the majority members of the City Council for reducing the executive budget he proposed, a City Hall official said.
BUTUAN CITY -- Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is not closing his doors to running for the country’s presidency in 2016, revealing in his “listening tour” here, the first of a series, that he’s “waiting for signs from God to make the final decision.”
THE plight of the residents who will be booted out from their houses as the impending demolition nears is in the hands of the City Council, as the National Housing Authority (NHA)-Northern Mindanao waits for the legislative body’s resolution that would ask the court to defer the issuance of the writ of demolition that would leave more than 50 families homeless next week.
KABACAN, North Cotabato -- Two persons were killed in the flashfloods that hit parts of North Cotabato since Wednesday night, an official said on Friday.
Cynthia Ortega, chief of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, said the flooding has affected at least 10,000 individuals who sought refuge in various evacuation centers.
CAGAYAN DE ORO -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) in Northern Mindanao directed all its units to “observe full alert status” within its area of responsibility in the wake of a powerful blast in Zamboanga City Friday that killed one and wounded 48.
CAGAYAN DE ORO - There is strong possibility the complaint filed by Iligan City Representative Vicente “Varf” Belmonte on Wednesday against more than a dozen suspects on the attempt on his life will be handled by the Department of Justice (DOJ), Misamis Oriental Provincial Prosecutor Chuchi Aziz said Thursday.
COTABATO CITY -- Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (Armm) Governor Mujiv Hataman has called an investigation on the reported burning and closure of schools in Marawi City, reportedly over quarrel between administrators and educators.
“This should be investigated thoroughly. It is unacceptable,” Hataman said during the “Tapatan sa Armm” press briefing Wednesday, January 21, stressing that it is the children unable to go to school who are at the losing end.
THE newest bridge in Cagayan de Oro that was opened for vehicular traffic for five days last week was closed again by authorities last Tuesday.
Engr. Nonito Oclarit, head of the city’s Road and Traffic Administration (RTA), said in a statement released Thursday that the bridge, built by a grant from the Spanish government, will open for inauguration on February 6, 2015 “upon availability of government officials from Manila.”
RESIDENTS who are facing imminent demolition will hold a protest rally in front of the National Housing Authority (NHA)-Northern Mindanao in Barangay Puntod today (January 23) to bring out their grievances on the looming demolition of their houses in barangays Puntod and Macabalan on Saturday.
DAVAO CITY – Pope Francis has designated Cardinal Orlando Quevedo, Archbishop of Cotabato, as his Special Envoy to the celebration of the 150th Rediscovery of the “Hidden Christians” in Nagasaki, Japan on March 16 and 17 this year.
Quevedo said it was officially confirmed after the Luneta mass on January 18, although he was informed about the assignment three months ago.
CAGAYAN DE ORO – A complaint was filed at the Provincial Prosecutor’s Office Wednesday against suspects in the foiled ambush of Iligan City lone district Representative Vicente “Varf” Belmonte.
REGIONAL Prosecutor Jaime Umpa has assured the investigation of the complaint filed against four police officers for multiple and frustrated murders will be “transparent.”
“All steps that the (new) panel will undertake will be known to both parties and their counsels,” Umpa told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro Wednesday.
CAMP IRANUN, Barira, Maguindanao – The Independent Decommissioning Body (IDB) tasked to oversee the process of decommissioning the Moro Islamic Liberation Front’s (MILF) forces and weapons is eyeing Camp Abubakar, now known as Camp Iranun of the Army’s 603rd Infantry Brigade, to be the storage facility of firearms to be handed to IDB once the normalization process of the GPH-MILF peace agreement takes off.
The IDB, headed by Turkish Ambassador Haydar Berk, conducted on Tuesday a site inspection inside the camp, which was once the main camp of the MILF until the “all-out war” in 2000, and was briefed by Col. Arnel dela Vega, 603IB commander.
THE head of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Northern Mindanao (CIDG-10) has denied framing up two of the four police officers who were accused of shooting four civilian persons last month.
CIDG-10 regional director, Senior Superintendent Alexander Tagum, said it was Jim Jamaca, the summary killing survivor, who tagged the law enforcers as the alleged shooters of his cousins, Harold and Roland Jamaca, and his live-in partner, Maria Erica Yabut.
TO prevent a repeat of bus bombing incidents, which killed and injured passengers last year, the Philippine National Police (PNP-10) has suggested the creation of bus stops in every town.
PNP-10 said there should be a designated bus stop in every municipality and each stop has to be equipped with a high-definition closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera and “bus drivers should be ordered not to pick up passengers anywhere, so that all passengers aboard and their baggage will be checked thoroughly with the aid of metal detectors and K9 units to counter any related incident that may happen along the way.”
APIA, Samoa – Philippine environmental justice organization BAN Toxics (BT) presents key topics in an international workshop for the ratification and early implementation of the Minamata Convention on Mercury currently held in Apia, Samoa from January 19-21, 2014.
Representing the international nongovernmental organization (NGO) coalition Zero Mercury Working Group, the United Nations Environmental Programme invited BT to present on the following issues: mercury-added products and trade; artisanal and small-scale gold mining (ASGM); stakeholder involvement in developing communication plans; and, NGO support to countries in ratifying and implementing the Minamata Convention.
ILIGAN CITY — The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has thanked Pope Francis for blessing the peace process between the group and the government through the few lines he spoke about the subject during his four-day swing in the country.
“Thank you Pope (Francis)! We know how much value and influence your simple words work with people who follow and listen to you…. The moral suasion penetrates the heart and soul of every Filipino Catholic, we are sure, including those in the highest echelon of government and the lawmakers,” the MILF said in a statement posted on its official website.
CAGAYAN DE ORO - A covenant on taking a stand against threats on journalists in the city who tackle “sensitive” issues was signed by local law enforcement agencies, government sector representatives, church officials and the media held at the Archbishop’s House here Tuesday morning.
ILIGAN CITY—The hopes and dreams of the families of journalists slain in the Maguindanao massacre has formally reached Pope Francis through a letter, according to the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP).
The letter, written by kin of the 32 slain journalists, was read during the fifth-year commemoration rites of the massacre Nov. 23 last year in Sitio Masalay, Barangay Salman, Ampatuan, Maguindanao.
THE head of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Northern Mindanao (CIDG-10) has yet to comment on the complaint recently filed by three police officers, two of whom are facing charges, against him for allegedly intervening in the apprehension of four armed persons.
Senior Superintendent Alexander Tagum, CIDG-10 regional director, said he could not yet issue a statement to the allegation that he interfered in the arrest of the suspects who were reportedly arrested for carrying weapons in Bolonsiri, Barangay Camaman-an on December 11, 2014.
PIGCAWAYAN, North Cotabato – A village leader prevented a bombing attempt here by quickly reporting to the nearest police detachment, about 12 hours after another improvised bomb went off in Kabacan town, also in North Cotabato.
Senior Inspector Donald Gabico, Pigcawayan police chief, said an improvised bomb was found by Barangay South Manuangan purok leader Godofredo Piala left by two men on a motorbike at a roadside at 6 a.m. Tuesday.
IN ASSERTING their collective rights as residents and taxpayers of the city, more than a thousand Kagay-anons have asked the majority bloc of the City Council to enact the P3.8-billion executive budget through a people’s initiative Monday.
This is the second time the group held a rally urging the legislative to consider the budget Mayor Oscar Moreno had proposed for this year.
IT’S not a zero budget for Philhealth, said Vice Mayor Caesar Ian Acenas, as he assured Kagay-anons that the Annual Budget for 2015 was approved by the 17th City Council with the interest of its constituents, especially the poor, in mind.
In this year’s budget, P42 million was allotted for the Philippine Health Insurance (Philhealth) Point of Care Program, which is higher than the P16 million requested by the executive department. The amount will benefit 17,500 poor families that will be hospitalized.
TWO of the four policemen tagged as suspects in the killing of three persons have denied they were involved in the murder, documents obtained by Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro on Monday showed.
In their counter affidavits, both Senior Inspector Ludwig Charles Espera and Inspector Arnel Gighe have vehemently maintained their innocence amid the accusation that they, together with PO1 Jun Reil Barrientos and PO1 Manuel Quipanes, are allegedly responsible in shooting to death three persons.
IN SPITE of the newly completed J.R. Borja bridge, the Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA) has determined that public utility jeepneys (PUJs) would still use the Governor Paciencio Ysalina bridge connecting the downtown area to Barangay Carmen, RTA chief lawyer Jose Edgardo Uy said Monday.
During the January 15-19 dry run, the RTA discovered that the PUJs passing through the new bridge caused traffic jam in the intersection of Max Suniel in Carmen and J.R. Borja bridge.
DAVAO CITY -- Ecumenical leaders have appealed to Pope Francis to “add his voice” in calling the Philippine government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) to return to the negotiating table.
In a statement dated January 18, Rev. Ephraim S. Fajutagana, chair of the National Council of Churches in the Philippines (NCCP), said: “injustices and social inequality are the roots of the armed conflict that the people wish to be resolved through the peace talks.”