PNP, NBI to shed light on Oro bombing in today’s session-A A +A
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
OFFICIALS of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) are set to appear in Tuesday’s City Council session to shed light on the bombing incident in the city last week.
Councilor Ian Mark Nacaya, chair of the committee on police, fire and public safety, said the officials, headed by NBI acting regional director Jose Doloiras, PNP Regional Director Gil Hitosis and Cocpo Director Gerardo Rosales, will be asked to explain why the bombing occurred.
Last week’s bombing incident killed two civilians and wounded two policemen.
Nacaya said their presence will clarify issues of the bomb scare in aid of legislation and provide the council with assurance that this will not happen again in the city.
“I hope the officials will comply this time and give importance to the peace and order of the city,” Nacaya said.
Earlier, Mayor Vicente Emano believed the bombing incident is not the handiwork of terrorists.
Emano said the bomb exploded at a time and place that terrorists do not normally choose.
“Even in other parts of the country, bombing by terrorists will not happen during dawn,” he said.
Emano said police officials must solve the incident and jail the perpetrators.
Meanwhile, Emano and Nacaya personally supervised the holding of the weekly night café last Friday and Saturday, which was not suspended despite the bombing incident.
Hundreds of police personnel were seen in the area providing security to the residents.
“What I witnessed during the two-day night café spoiled the idea of the bombing being a terrorism act. Despite the threat, more people still went to the night café,” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on October 16, 2012.