THE generation of today must go beyond the “selfie” culture and contribute what they can to society even at a young age.
This was the challenge of Tulong Kabataan, a coalition of student and youth groups from all over Northern Mindanao that conducted a feeding activity and play therapy to around 1,000 children in two barangays in Cagayan de Oro City over the weekend.
PEASANTS and indigenous peoples have called on Pope Francis to listen to the issues affecting these marginalized sectors like landlessness and the continued violence inflicted on them.
The Pope, who visited the country from January 15 until Monday, January 19, went to Tacloban to see the suffering of the people whose lives were affected by Super Typhoon Yolanda, but Mindanao was not on his itinerary.
REPORTS of homegrown terrorist cells suspected to be operating in Mindanao should not be ignored, the regional police chief said.
Chief Superintendent Agrimero Cruz Jr., the newly appointed regional director of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Northern Mindanao, said the people must remain vigilant and be on lookout for the presence of suspicious individuals in their areas.
BUTUAN CITY -- It looks like the release of three policemen from Surigao del Norte who are being held captive by the New People’s Army (NPA) will be delayed further after the Caraga Regional Peace and Order Council (RPOC) refused to give in to the demand of the rebels for a troop pullout in the province.
Butuan City Mayor and RPOC chair Ferdinand Amante said the council would wait for instructions from President Benigno Aquino III regarding the demand by the NPA as a precondition to the release of the captives.
THE local government has decided on a P3.8 billion budget, because it has been ambitious enough that 2015 is its “momentum year,” Mayor Oscar Moreno said.
DAVAO CITY – A radio commentator who survived an assassination attempt nearly 10 years ago but was paralyzed from the waist down, passed away on January 15, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) Media Safety Office announced in a press statement.
Alberto “Pastor” Martinez, 57, was a hard-hitting broadcaster in North Cotabato who had been receiving death threats before he was shot evening of April 10, 2005, some 200 meters from his radio station in Kabacan town. The bullet pierced his spine and lodged in his body.
DAVAO CITY – President Benigno Aquino III said nothing about the peace processes involving the Bangsamoro and the communist guerrillas in his speech to welcome Pope Francis in Malacañang, but the Pope expressed trust that the progress made in bringing peace to Mindanao “will result in just solutions” following the nation’s founding principles “and respectful of the inalienable rights of all, including the indigenous peoples and religious minorities.”
TACLOBAN CITY – Lumad leaders conferred on Pope Francis the title Apô (elder) Edsila on January 16 here in an event called “Gathering of the Poor” to be witnessed by Catholic sisters and Typhoon Yolanda survivors.
“We are bestowing on him the title Apô Edsila since he is worthy of high esteem with his love for us, indigenous peoples, and for his respect for the values and beliefs that we have held sacred since time immemorial,” said Dulphing Ogan, secretary general of the Mindanao-wide indigenous peoples' group Kalumaran.
WHILE accompanying his wife to work Friday morning, a resident in Barangay Bugo here noticed a bloodstained sack dumped in a vacant lot in front of a school that prompted him to get near and found a foot exposed.
The resident reported to Puerto police station that he found a body placed inside a sack tied with a shoelace at around 5:15 a.m. yesterday.
THE three-person panel of prosecutors tasked to conduct an investigation into the complaint filed by a retired policeman against four law enforcers and others who were involved in the alleged summary killing of his two sons and his nephew’s girlfriend last December has filed a motion to inhibit themselves from the case.
A copy of the resolution, dated January 15 and obtained by this paper Friday, stated that the three prosecutors have expressed their intent to drop the investigation of the multiple murder and frustrated murder complaints.
A FEW days after a broadcast journalist received threatening text messages after tackling the series of extrajudicial killings (EJK) in the city, the members of the media have condemned the threat and now urged the police to cleanse their ranks of erring law enforcers.
WITH the filing of the motion for inhibition by the father of the two victims of summary killing, Regional Prosecutor Jaime Umpa said his office is ready to handle the proceedings of the complaint filed against the suspects.
In a press conference held Thursday, Umpa said there is an urgency to resolve the complaint filed by Rolando Jamaca, the father of Harold and Roland, against the alleged perpetrators.
DURING his four-day stay in the country, Pope Francis might not set foot in Mindanao, but people from various faiths converged here Thursday to welcome the Pontiff in their own way.
At the Kiosko sa Kagawasan in Divisoria, more than a hundred of faithful belonging to different religious groups joined members of the Roman Catholic Church in the “People’s Welcome” of Pope Francis while the bells in all Catholic churches tolled as the Pope arrived Thursday.
A DELEGATION headed by Mayor Oscar Moreno left recently to Harbin City in the People’s Republic of China to strengthen the sisterhood ties between Cagayan de Oro and Harbin City.
Several members of local Filipino Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry and some members of the business community joined with Mayor Moreno on the said foreign trip.
VICE-governor Joey Pelaez and Provincial Board Member Heckert Emano co-authored a resolution commending provincial guard Nelfa B. Nacaytuna who caught two female visitors attempting to transport prohibited substance inside Misamis Oriental Provincial Jail.
The Provincial Board of Misamis Oriental passed a resolution commending Nacaytuna’s action.
THE custody of the four police officers who are facing charges for their involvement in the alleged summary killing of three persons last month has been transferred from Cagayan de Oro Police Office (Cocpo) to the office of the Philippine National Police-Northern Mindanao, the new police regional director disclosed Wednesday.
REFUTING the talks that there is a death squad headed by the local chief executive, in the same press conference, Mayor Oscar Moreno has reiterated that he is not in favor of extrajudicial killings (EJK).
When he was still a congressman in the late ‘90s, Moreno said he was one of the lawmakers who had expressed their opposition to the revival of the death penalty.
JOURNALISTS in Cagayan de Oro City have banded together after a Bombo Radio broadcaster received threatening text messages for his commentaries on extra-judicial killings involving police officers of the Cagayan de Oro Police Office (Cocpo).
Cagayan de Oro Press Club president Jerry Orcullo is holding the entire police in the city accountable if any attempt will be made on the staff of DXIF Bombo radio station.
ILIGAN CITY — Fourteen of the 18 surviving framers of the 1987 Constitution have said that the creation of the Bangsamoro autonomous entity is within the bounds of the country’s charter.
In a statement that released to the public by the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP), the 14 constitutional framers said they “fully support the creation of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region.”
FOR the City Council to declare 22 barangays (villages) under calamity, in the wake of tropical storm Seniang last month, without the recommendation from the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (CDRRMC) is dubious, a city hall official said.
Teddy Sabugaa, head of the City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO), found it dubious that the legislative body passed a resolution recently declaring the whole city under the state of calamity since the CDRRMC did not endorse it.
SMUGGLING charges were filed against two consignees of the more than 1.3 million kilograms of imported glutinous rice after the Bureau of Customs in northern Mindanao (BOC-10) acted on it promptly.
More than a month, after the container vans containing the imported rice estimated to be worth P82.68 million were seized by the BOC-10 at Mindanao Container Terminal (MCT) in Tagoloan, Misamis Oriental, the consignees of these items are now facing smuggling charges, according to a report posted on the Department of Finance (DOF) website Tuesday.
"I WILL not recognize the override," Mayor Oscar Moreno told reporters, reiterating his stance against the decision of the majority bloc of the City Council that reversed his veto message during the legislature’s regular session on January 12.
Speaking before City Hall employees during the flag-raising ceremony on Monday, Moreno would prefer the 2014 budget be reenacted for this year rather than follow the 2015’s executive budget, which was tremendously trimmed down by the council’s majority members from P3.8 billion to P2.08 billion, or a difference of P1.72 billion.
IT MAY have been replaced by a new version but the 2003 revenue code of the city is still in effect and the new tax code’s implementation period is still months away, a City Hall consultant said Tuesday.
Lawyer Crescencio Co Untian Jr., an accountancy teacher at Xavier University and author of textbooks on taxation, said a technicality will prevent the City Government from imposing the new tax code this month.
THE Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA) has announced the new traffic scheme it has proposed in time for the opening of the J.R. Borja bridge next week.
RTA chief Jose Edgardo Uy said Tuesday that in the dry run prior to the official opening of the bridge on January 15-19, the J.R. Borja street from Burgos street up to Corrales Avenue will be a two-way street.
AROUND a hundred delegates from Cagayan de Oro are traveling to Manila today, Wednesday, for the five-day apostolic visit of Pope Francis on January 15 until 19.
The delegates include diocesan priests from the different churches in the city, five nuns, Sendong survivors, lay people, and selected youths.
AS ADVANCES in information and communication technology (ICT) continue to make phenomenal strides impacting everyone on the planet, ICT-related crimes have also increased making individuals vulnerable to attacks and frauds.
This is why the Anti-Cybercrime Group, a special unit created by the Philippine National Police (PNP) in 2013 to address the proliferation of “high-tech” crimes, has reiterated its call to those who were defrauded or victimized through the use of the ICT to come forward and report these incidents so proper action could be taken.
THE majority members of the Cagayan de Oro City Council reversed Mayor Oscar Moreno’s veto on some provisions in the executive budget he proposed for this year during the regular session Monday.
Moreno’s 12-page veto message, dated December 29, 2014, was submitted to the City Council last January 5.
IT’S possible that the radio commentator who received threatening text messages during his radio program for discussing on the series of extrajudicial killings in Cagayan de Oro City may have also touched other sensitive issues.
Celso Maldecir, station manager for dxIF-Bombo Radyo in Cagayan de Oro, said he is suspecting that one of his anchors, Junel Ucat, may have discussed other topics in his program that got the ire of some people who sent him the text messages.
SURIGAO CITY -- The New People’s Army (NPA) announced last week that it has put on hold the planned release of three policemen it has held captive since November last year, with the rebel group accusing the military and local officials for refusing to agree to conditions for their freedom.
Communist rebels snatched PO1 Democrito Bondoc Polvorosa and PO1 Marichel Unclara Contemplo of the Alegria Police Station on November 12, and PO1 Junrie Amper of Malimono Police Station on November 16 last year.
FOLLOWING a complaint that has been filed by the City Local Environment and Natural Resources Office (Clenro) against a company for doing excavation inside its private property at sitio San Miguel, Barangay Lapasan, the next move would be for various stakeholders to be ushered for administrative proceedings.
Clenro chief Edwin Dael said they have forwarded their complaint against Mindanao Health Care Corporation (MHCC) to the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) for violation of Republic Act (RA) 7942 or the Philippine Mining Act of 1995, last January 8.