MALAYBALAY CITY – Leaders of indigenous peoples in Bukidnon signed a memorandum of agreement with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources for a foreign-funded watershed management project to ensure protection of their customs and traditions and to express their cooperation.
Datu Migketay Victorino Saway led tribal leaders in the signing during the launching Thursday of the P6.31-billion (US$154.1 million) Integrated Natural Resources and Environmental Management Project (Inremp), which covers Bukidnon and three other provinces in the Philippines.
TO REDUCE malnutrition, Lumbia Central School launched its school – based feeding program last Friday morning in partnership with the Philippine Airforce Tactical Operation Group 10 and ITALPINAS Corp.
“We are thankful for the government for giving us funds to be able to feed malnourished children of Lumbia Central School. And also to our partners who supported us in this launching.” Julieta Talirongan, Lumbia Central School Principal, said.
WITH the Mindanao-wide Milo Little Olympics Mindanao taking place in Cagayan de Oro beginning Friday, authorities have geared up and are on the lookout for possible threats as thousands of student athletes and visitors flocked to the city for the said sports event.
Superintendent Danildo Tumanda, deputy city director for administration, said there have been security plans prepared for the sports event held at Don Gregorio Pelaez Sports Center that the police refused to divulge.
A MEMBER of the City Mining Regulatory Board (CMRB) body is willing to undergo investigation to clear him from alleged unethical and violation on any mining law.
“I have nothing to hide. I did not do anything illegal and I am willing to be scrutinized to prove it,” CMRB member and Sulog representative Ralph Abragan said Friday over the phone.
THE Environment Management Bureau (EMB) in Northern Mindanao has urged business establishments to help mitigate the alarming state of the environment by obtaining an Environmental Compliance Certificate (ECC).
EMB Regional Director Sabdullah Abubacar said getting the ECC will greatly contribute to the region's unwavering campaign to preserve its environmental resources.
THE City Schools Division said that students who were affected by the demolition in Dacudao Compound, Barangay Puntod can transfer immediately to nearby schools.
“I have already given an advisory to all the schools that they are to accept the transferees from the schools under North I district,” schools division superintendent Elena Borcillo said.
A RELENTLESS anti-smuggling campaign coupled with the robust imports of companies based in the region amounting to hundreds of millions of pesos contributed to the Bureau of Customs in Northern Mindanao (BOC-10) to consistently hit its monthly collection target.
Aside from that, BOC-10 has continued the streamlining of its operations and upgraded its customs systems and transactions, said a report from the National Economic and Development Authority-Northern Mindanao (Neda-10).
THE Cagayan de Oro City police insisted its team behind the Dacudao compound demolition in Barangay Puntod on August 4 followed protocol in employing a court order to dismantle houses in the area.
“It was not our fault why the man died. We have a protocol and we followed it,” Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) spokesman Superintendent Lemuel Gonda said on Wednesday.
THE Cagayan de Oro City Local Environment and Natural Resources Office (Clenro) denied that the City Mining Regulatory Board (CMRB) has allegedly engaged in anomalous transaction on the issuance of permits.
The issue surfaced when Ralph Abragan, a CMRB member, divulged the board has a ‘mafia-like’ system when it approved a permit on a particular barangay official to run an allegedly illegal quarrying operation in Barangay Canitoan, he told a local paper.
WHILE the Police Regional Office in Northern Mindanao (PRO-10) confirmed that a police officer under its wing had been charged for the more than a hundred missing firearms inside a PRO-10 stockroom, immediate superior of PO3 Cindy Daaca, the police in question, refused to comment about the controversy.
Superintendent Manuel Alvarez, chief of the Regional Headquarters Support Group (RHSG) based at the PRO-10 headquarters in Camp Alagar, chose not to issue a statement on the alleged 106 undocumented guns which couldn't be accounted for.
THE City Tourism Council is inviting barangays, schools, civic organizations or companies to participate in this year’s new street dancing concept called the Cagayan Carnival. The carnival is one of the core events of this year’s Higalaay Festival.
The friendships built by the Kagay-anons all over the globe signify “Higalaay.” The carnival, according to the council, will showcase a wide variety of culture through merry making, costumes and props of vibrant colors with synchronized singing and dancing.
WITH numerous public officials and civil society groups already expressing their concerns on the series of “summary killings” in the city and the incapability of law enforcers to catch the perpetrators, the state's human rights body has remained optimistic that the rule of law is still at work.
Although alarmed with the incidents of torched and dumped bodies found in secluded areas in the city and the neighboring towns, Commission on Human Rights (CHR) chair Loretta Rosales trusts the City Government and its law enforcers will be able to put the suspects behind bars.
A CITY hall official blamed the former city mayor for neglecting in years the Dacudao compound situation that ended in the dismantling of houses and resulted to the killing of one of the members of the demolition team on Wednesday, August 5, 2014.
“This is clearly a product of neglect of the previous administration that led to this current situation where there’s already a casualty and where families are left homeless and have no idea where to go,” said Teddy Sabuga-a, City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD) officer.
IN HIS one-hour speech, Misamis Oriental Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano highlighted the achievements of the province under his administration.
He focused on tourism – his flagship program – environment, infrastructure, education, agriculture, health, transportation, cooperative, and peace and order.
AN IMPORTANT legislation needed to kick-start the controversial farm-to-market road (FMR) projects may soon be approved by the city council as President Elipe, chairman of the Committee on Finance, assured the project will be pushed through in six weeks’ time.
“If all documents will be submitted and the requirements have been accomplished, approval will be no less than two months,” Elipe said Wednesday.
TWO years after a building at a public elementary school in Cagayan de Oro caught on fire that gutted 47 classrooms and a function hall, school officials are requesting the City Government to expedite the plan to construct a new building to accommodate the increasing student population.
“Without the classrooms everyone in the school struggles with the two-session system,” City Central School (CCS) principal Celso Pagulon said Wednesday.
A DEMOLITION turned bloody in Barangay Puntod on Tuesday when a member of the demolition team was allegedly killed by one of the residents who refused to leave while a police was injured after a melee ensued.
Armed with the writ of demolition issued by Branch 20 of the Regional Trial Court, a demolition team dismantled the houses of the families residing in the area who were ordered to leave as soon as possible whether the lands where their houses stand are titled or not.
SUSPECTING that Godwin Vergara’s shooter is a police, his wife, relatives and friends are now planning to seek help from the regional office of the Commission on Human Rights to get justice.
Relanie, wife of 37-year-old Godwin Vergara who was shot dead in the head twice on Thursday dawn, July 31, is firm that her family will ask for investigation from the CHR in northern Mindanao despite fears and apprehensions.
A FORMER media worker who was recently convicted in an election-related incident that took place more than four years ago has vowed to fight for justice until he will obtain it.
Herbert Hubert Dumaguing was convicted for qualified trespass to dwelling case filed by Joseph Bitas, a resident of Barangay Tangaro in Catarman town, Camiguin, on May 9, 2010, the eve of the local and national elections.
TORCHING the bodies of victims and dumping them in secluded spots in the city and elsewhere have been the new trend in alleged “summary execution” as another “charred” body of a male was found burned in Barangay Ulab, Gitagum town, Misamis Oriental, at around 7 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said.
In its initial investigation, the Scene of the Crime Operatives in the region (Soco-10) found no visible gunshot or stab wounds from the victim’s body aside from the marks around his neck using cable wire.
ALTHOUGH the re-election of President Benigno Aquino III is unconstitutional under the Omnibus Elections Code of the Commission on Elections (Comelec), considerations of the possibility that he can still qualify caused a stir from the civil society groups in northern Mindanao.
Leaders of these groups said Aquino's performance in his six-year term has been plagued with controversies which make him incapable to pursue another term in the Palace.
CAGAYAN DE ORO - Two of the 15 suspects responsible for the heist at a jewelry shop inside a mall here on July 22 have been identified and charged with robbery for hauling away P12.5 million worth of luxurious jewelry.
Although still at large, they have been charged by Carmen police on Friday for the court to issue the warrants of arrest of Benjo Bonia of Molave town, Zamboanga del Sur and Jerry "Junjun" Raganas Tulba of Ozamiz City.
DESPITE the rising death toll in West Africa due to the Ebola outbreak that has alarmed the World Health Organization (WHO), the Department of Health in the region (DOH) has assured the public here is nothing to worry about this and focus should be on dengue instead.
On its current death count of 729 (as of July 27, 2014) by the WHO, Ebola has not reached the health department’s attention yet, said Emiliano Galban Jr., head of DOH-Northern Mindanao Health Promotion Unit.
FOR stepping up its capabilities in responding to disasters, the Office of the Civil Defense in Northern Mindanao (OCD-10) has awarded the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) recently.
CDRRMO won in the disaster preparedness in the highly urbanized city category.
DENGUE is not the only disease that’s been threatening lives in Northern Mindanao, yet another infection also caused by a virus has been spreading in the region.
The Regional Epidemiology, Surveillance and Disaster Response Unit (Resdru) of the Department of Health in the region (DOH-10) reported a total of 1,520 cases of suspected measles as of July 25, 2014.
PUTTING the blame on and replacing the city police chief for the robbery that took place in a jewelry shop inside a mall and other criminal activities happening in the city may not be a good idea and may even be “counterproductive,” said Mayor Oscar Moreno recently.
Some quarters in the city including councilors called for the replacement of city police chief senior superintendent Graciano Mijares for allegedly failing to curb the crime rate in the city which contributed to 55 percent of the total crime rate in the region.
A FIRE in Sitio Sto. Niño, Barangay Lapasan on Friday night damaged around P500,000 worth of properties, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said.
Rey Diaz, 55, Virginia Geroy, 42, Janet delos Reyes, 42, Agripina Talisayan, 56, and Breck Lombre, 39, were left homeless after a third alarm conflagration burned down their homes.
A MEMBER of the local media was beaten while a government worker and two other journalists were threatened at gunpoint in San Francisco, Agusan del Sur Saturday morning, August 2.
Chris Panganiban, a Philippine Daily Inquirer correspondent, said his group had a drink in a diner when the suspects approached them and took one of his companions and physically hit him.
OF THE 280,000 registered voters in Cagayan de Oro, it is estimated that one fourth of the voting populace has not yet been officially registered with biometrics as the prime requirement.
The city’s election officer, lawyer Aleli Ramirez, estimated there are almost 40,000 voters who may not be able to exercise their right to suffrage in the upcoming 2016 elections because of the problem.??
TO GIVE building permit applicants an easier time in the processing of their documents, the city government has partnered with a state university in the upgrading of the system of the Office of the City Building Official (OBO).
A memorandum of agreement was signed last Friday between city hall and Mindanao University of Science and Technology (MUST) for the implementation of the Building Permit Management System (BPMS).