THE proposal by the minority bloc of the House of Representatives to abolish the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps), also known as conditional cash transfer (CCT), the poverty-reduction initiative of the government, would be counterproductive to achieving progress and development in the country.
Oliver Inodeo, CCT information officer of the Department of Social Welfare and Development in region 10 (DSWD-10), said that if the CCT will be scrapped, it would greatly affect the lives of the more than four million families who are the beneficiaries of the program, especially the youth.
THE Civil Service Commission (CSC) reminds government employees to live within their means – to live simply, so they won’t be buried in debts especially from loan sharks.
Adams D. Torres, CSC director for northern Mindanao, said the government is doing developmental programs aimed at improving the lots of its employees especially in financial management so that they will not live beyond their means – financial literacy of government employees.
A PROPOSED legislation that would provide the nation’s senior citizens free Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PHilHealth) membership is now at the Senate undergoing deliberation, a senator said Monday.
A BRITISH national is now facing charges for alleged violation of electronic and internet-related laws and other offenses filed by his former business partner from Cagayan de Oro, the Anti-Cybercrime Group in the Northern Mindanao (ACG-10) said.
Sued for various infractions is Alexander Loukaides, with official residence at Stratford Avenue, Dallas, Texas, USA and postal address in the country at Keepel Center, Cebu Business Park, Cebu City.
THE Cagayan de Oro City Government, through the City Health Department, has launched on Saturday Operation “Dak-Pa (Lamok Dakpa Patya)” in villages where there are reported high cases of dengue incidents.
These barangays are Carmen, Balulang, Bugo, Kauswagan, Bulua, Iponan, Macasandig, Patag, Gusa, Canitoan, Tablon, Lapasan and Camaman-an.
INSTEAD of debating whether to lower the minimum age of criminal responsibility (MACR) from 15 to 13 years old or not, the government should focus on going after parents and adults who are exploiting minors by pushing them to break the law, said City Social Welfare and Development (CSWD) officer Teddy Sabuga-a Jr.
Sabuga-a said law enforcers should keep an eye on grown-ups, as they are usually behind petty theft, robbery, shoplifting and other criminal activities committed by children.
THE draft Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) is finally done.
All 14 members of the Bangsamoro Transition Commission (BTC), the body mandated to draft the Bangsamoro Basic Law, signed at 4:40 p.m. Sunday the transmittal letter for submission of the final draft to President Aquino, Mohagher Iqbal, chair of the BTC and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) peace panel said.
A LADY legislator batted for a new law to finally put a regulation policy on motorcycles for hire – known as ‘habal-habal’ in Visayas and Mindanao and motorcycle taxi in urban centers – with a national law that has "the paramount intent of the general safety of the riding public in mind."
In filing House Bill 4794, Second district Misamis Oriental Rep. Juliette T. Uy seeks the legalization of the ubiquitous ‘habal-habal,’ a means of transportation usually used by the local people in far-flung areas where trucks, jeepneys and tricycles cannot pass.
THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) recently ordered former Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Vicente Emano to act on the election protest he filed last year against incumbent Mayor Oscar Moreno.
The Comelec earlier upheld its decision to freeze the petition for election recall filed by Emano's camp.
THE Cagayan de Oro City Social Welfare and Development Office (CSWDO) is on the lookout for adults who are allegedly using minors to commit wrongdoings.
After an eight-year-old male child was caught shoplifting in one of the grocery stores in the city on Thursday, the CSWDO said Friday that it is looking into the report that a group of individuals is now resorting to employing children to do the criminal act on their behalf.
A SENATOR has assured the public, especially the people in Mindanao, that there will be no breach of security in the island because of the presence of the United States Allied Freedom Fighters of the East (USAFFE) despite the alleged involvement of some of its members in carrying out a bomb attack plot at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) 3 early this week.
“I believe they are not a security threat to us,” Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. said during his visit to Mindanao State University-Naawan campus on Thursday.
A GIRL who was reported drowned on Tuesday surfaced in the Cagayan de Oro River near the City Hall on Friday.
The victim's family, together with the City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO), searched her for two days.
THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) has ruled that all petitions for recall in the country, including the one filed recently by the camp of former Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Vicente Emano aimed at unseating incumbent Mayor Oscar Moreno, will not be acted upon by the poll body in the meantime.
THREE committees of the city council will conduct an investigation on the complaints from vendors who were allegedly harassed by the Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA) enforcers during the conduct of the Operation “Hapsay Dalan.”
These committees are the Economic Enterprise, Public Safety and Public Utility.
LOWERING the minimum age of criminal responsibility (MACR) from 15 to 13 years old as provided in the New Criminal Code-Book 1 (NCC-B1) is not only anti-children and anti-poor, but it is also anti-development, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said Thursday.
Oliver Inodeo, who spoke on behalf of DSWD-10 information officer Charmaine Tadlas, said that lowering of the MACR will not help the children in conflict with the law (CICL) but it would repress them, in effect stunting their potentials to become productive citizens of the country.
SENATOR Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. still sees hope in the youth to save the nation by not abolishing the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) but reforming it instead.
During his visit to the Mindanao State University-Naawan campus in Naawan, Misamis Oriental Thursday, Marcos expressed his support to the retention of the SK, but that it definitely needs an overhaul in its structure, scope and function, and pointing out his proposed three modifications.
THE two low-pressure areas (LPAs) inside the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) will continue to dump light to moderate rains in the whole country in the next 24 hours, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said Thursday.
In an interview, Pagasa weather forecaster Meno Mendoza said that as of 4 p.m., one of the LPAs was estimated at the vicinity of Dagupan City, while the other LPA was located at 440 kilometers east of Virac, Catanduanes.
THE Catholic Church and the Cagayan de Oro City Government see Responsible Parenthood and Natural Family Planning (RP-NFP) program to improve family relations apart from slowing the steep growth of the population in the country.
“With RP-NFP, couples will realize that building a family is difficult. If dili kaya, dili lang sa ipugos,” city social and welfare development officer Teddy Sabuga-a Sr. said.
THE leader of an ultra-rightist group accredited by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) denied Wednesday that the foiled September 1 bomb attempt at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 (NAIA-3) was his group's handiwork.
Former nuisance presidential candidate in 2004 national elections and United States Allied Freedom Fighters of the East (USAFFE) commander-in-chief Elly Pamatong said there was no instruction coming from him to stage a bomb attack like what earlier reports said of the unsuccessful staging of a bomb attack at the parking area 35 of NAIA-3.
INVESTIGATING team of Misamis Oriental Provincial Police Office (Moppo) said Gitagum police chief violated protocol on the conduct of the arrest of Cagayan de Oro Water District senior draftsman Engr. Emmanuel Mulawan Sr. who lately was freed by a Cavite court where he was incarcerated for more than two months.
Mulawan was arrested following an alleged rape case.
A RETIRED police officer in Cagayan de Oro was arrested by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency-Northern Mindanao (PDEA-10) in a buy-bust operation shortly before dawn Wednesday.
The anti-narcotics bureau seized around 25 grams of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride (shabu) with an estimated street value of P175,000.
HAVING the highest reported number of measles cases in northern Mindanao, Cagayan de Oro has joined national efforts to prevent outbreak of the virus-caused communicable diseases like measles, rubella, and polio that are easily spread among children.
The Regional Epidemiology, Surveillance and Disaster Response Unit (Resdru) of the Department of Health in the region (DOH-10) reported a total of 595 cases of suspected measles in the city as of August 29, 2014.
THE security situation at the Laguindingan Airport in Laguindingan town, Misamis Oriental, has been placed on heightened alert level following the bomb threat at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 (NAIA-3) last Monday, September 1.
The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines in northern Mindanao (Caap 10) has requested additional security forces from the regional and provincial public safety battalion.
WITH hundreds of out-of-school youth (OSY) in the city, the local government has welcomed a program that will turn these young people productive.
To concretize the “Abot Alam” program, Teodoro Sabuga-a Jr., city social welfare and development officer, said that initiatives have been put in place to achieve its ultimate goal of reducing to zero the number of OSY in the country two years from now.
FOR refusing to yield to the enemy forces who attacked them recently, an army general praised the group of Filipino soldiers who were deployed as United Nations (UN) peacekeepers manning two outposts in Golan Heights, an area bordering between Syria and Israel.
“IF I were the commander of the Filipino contingent of the United Nations Peacekeeping Force in Golan Heights, I will also do the same ‘not to surrender to Syrian rebels,’” the Philippine Army’s 4th Infantry Division commander Major General Ricardo Visaya told Sun*Star in an interview Tuesday morning.
A CAGAYAN de Oro City official blamed the city’s faulty drainage for causing the massive urban flooding Sunday evening that sent motorists and commuters stranded for more than an hour along the main roads in barangays Carmen, Kauswagan, Bulua and Lapasan.
JUDGING from the various events held during the fiesta activities last week, the celebration of the feast of Saint Augustine has been considered a huge success.
These events that made up the “Higalaay” festival might have been costly, but the head of the fiesta committee said it didn’t cost the city government a single cent.
THE wife of deceased Misamis Oriental board member Roldan Lagbas is set to take her oath later today as the official replacement of her husband’s post at the provincial board.
By virtue of President Benigno Aquino III's operation of law, Susan Lagbas has been declared by the president as an official member of the board through a letter sent to the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) in Misamis Oriental on August 11.
MORE than 20 families of soldiers belonging to the Philippine Army based in Mindanao received Sunday the cash assistance from the Alay Sa Kawal Foundation Inc. (Ask)
Vice President Jejomar Binay, Ask chairman, together with Maj. General Ricardo Visaya, 4th Infantry Division (4th ID) commanding general handed to the beneficiaries P30,000 for each family who are survivors of soldiers who died in action or were combat casualties in the different military operations conducted in the entire island.
SUSPECTED members of the New People's Army (NPA) swooped down on the security post of a privately-owned subdivision in Bukidnon and took away their firearms shortly before noon on Saturday, authorities said.
The military said around 40 to 60 Maoist insurgents raided a subdivision in Barangay San Miguel, Manolo Fortich town around 10 a.m. on Saturday.