COA: Unsettled Capitol cash advances not just P8M-A A +A
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
IT SEEMS that the Commission on Audit (COA) Manila’s supposed order for Misamis Oriental Governor Oscar Moreno to explain his cash advances at the Capitol has not yet gone viral in as far as the local COA office is concerned.
This, after a COA-Northern Mindanao insider told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro on Tuesday that they have not yet received any notice on the matters, not even a copy furnish of the order.
“Usually, the regional office is given a copy-furnish,” said the source who refused to be named for being not the person in authority to speak in behalf of COA’s regional office.
Cagayan de Oro City Mayor Vicente Y. Emano earlier hurled a challenge to Moreno to explain his more than P80 million (not P8 million as reported earlier) cash advances at the Capitol.
Emano defended that the commotion last week at City Hall was a diversion of the real issue against Moreno, who will be his primary contender for the city’s mayoralty seat in the May 2013 elections.
Emano, in his radio program over the weekend, said the controversy surrounding his “suspension order” was the handiwork of Moreno’s group if only to divert from the real issue.
The COA, according to Emano, has given Moreno until Monday only of last week to explain his cash advances amounting to more than P80 million.
“Gani ang order gikan man gyud sa COA Manila nga ipatubag si Oca sa iyang cash advances (COA-Manila ordered Moreno to explain the cash advances),” Emano said over the radio.
The Provincial Board in Misamis Oriental passed resolutions sometime in 2011 calling for investigation on the P96 million unsettled cash advances at the Capitol.
In an earlier report, the COA said the P96 million represented unsettled accumulated cash advances incurred by former provincial officials and employees from 1973 to 2009.
The COA report identified some of those who have unsettled cash advances as former governors and incumbent governor, former PBs and incumbent PB members, incumbent Congressman and provincial employees. (With reports from Anabelle L. Ricalde)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on January 16, 2013.