Hearing vs mining firms cancelled-A A +A
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
THE supposed preliminary investigation on the case filed against South Ocean Mining scheduled on Wednesday at the City Prosecutors’ Office did not push through after all hearings were cancelled to give way to the arraignment of Jahcob “Coco” Rasuman.
South Ocean Mining was among the four mining barges charged by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) for violations of Republic Act 7942 or Mineral Resources Exploration, Development, Utilization and Conservation of the Philippine Mining Act of 1995.
"Walay preliminary investigation nga nahitabo kay gi cancel tanan hearings tungod kang Rasuman," said MGB regional director Rex Monsanto.
But the scheduled arraignment of Rasuman, who is facing a case of syndicated estafa in connection with the P120-million investment scam, was also postponed.
Monsanto said this is the fourth mining barge charged for illegal exploration and theft of minerals, in addition to KF Net Corporation and Phil Long Dangsa Mining Corp.
The three others were also charged at the City and Provincial Prosecutors’ Offices.
The mining companies, including its incorporators, are also facing charges for disobedience to authority, Monsanto added.
The mining barges were located and anchored along Canitoan River in Barangay Canitoan in Cagayan de Oro and in Opol, Misamis Oriental.
A composite team from the Philippine Army, police stations in Lumbia in Cagayan de Oro and Opol town in Misamis Oriental, and representatives from the MGB padlocked the said barges in a raid last year in Sitio Araw-Araw, Barangay Pagalungan in Cagayan de Oro City.
The barges were allegedly disguised as dredgers but were actually excavators scooping the river bottom for gold.
City Prosecutor Fidel Macauyag said that with the MGB’s filing of cases, he is optimistic it will have enough evidences and basis. (Abigail Chee Kee Malalis)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on January 31, 2013.