Chinese New Year revelry in Cagayan de Oro peaceful-A A +A
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
THE Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) said Monday the Chinese New Year celebration in the city was held peacefully.
Cocpo acting police director Senior Superintendent Graciano Mijares said police personnel have been deployed to ensure the safety of the public who wish to join in the celebration even if it was not as grand as those held in Manila.
“So far there were no reported related incidents last Sunday night and it was generally peaceful,” Mijares told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro.
The Chinese New Year will soon become a holiday after the Senate approved on third and final reading a bill declaring it as a special working holiday in the Philippines. The bill was sponsored by Senator Edgardo Angara, chair of the Senate committee on education, arts and culture.
Angara said Senate Bill 3323 seeks to recognize the contributions of the Filipino-Chinese community in the Philippines.
“They have significantly contributed to the country’s employment, community service, banking and finance, not to mention its rich and diverse cultural heritage,” he said.
While extending his greetings and wishes to the Filipino-Chinese community in the country, Angara said he is also optimistic that the Filipino people can embody the celebration and be more productive and progressive since 2013, as the Year of the Snake for the Chinese, is a year for progress. (Annabelle L. Ricalde)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 12, 2013.