More charges filed vs Romualdos of Camiguin-A A +A
Thursday, February 14, 2013
MORE complaints against Camiguin Representative Pedro Romualdo and his son, Governor Jurdin Jesus Romualdo, and 12 others have been filed at the Office of the Ombudsman in Cagayan de Oro City.
The complainants accused the Romualdos of acquiring five mansions and immense wealth estimating to P500 million to P1 billion.
In the affidavit complaint filed by lawyer Homobono Adaza, Rita Gallardo and five others from Camiguin, they alleged that the Romualdos acquired five mansions located at the towns of Mambajao, Mahinog and Guinsiliban in Camiguin and in Barangays Nazareth and Aluba in Cagayan de Oro.
According to the complaint, the five mansions were all built “with the use of machinery and materials owned by the Provincial Government and workers getting salaries from the provincial government of Camiguin.”
Adaza said the Romualdos, among the many political dynasties in the country, have dominated the province for more than 20 years “characterized by criminal activities.”
Plunder charges and violation of Code of Conduct and Ethical Standards for Public officials and employees were filed last week against the Romualdos and 12 other government employees at the Office of the Ombudsman.
Aside from Adaza and Gallardo, the other complainants are Luisito Ucab, Angustia Jadman, Raul Llacuna, Michael Kho and Manny Jaudian, all candidates running under the Liberal Party (LP).
“This is only the start of the battles to fight against political dynasty that have dominated and ruled the island for almost 25 years and it will start in Camiguin,” Adaza said during a press conference earlier held in Cagayan de Oro.
Adaza is running for governor in Camiguin in the May elections.
In radio interviews, the young Romualdo just laughed off the allegations, saying these are just “recycled issues.”
“Balik-balik ra man na nga issue. And why they conducted the press conference in Cagayan de Oro when the issue is in Camiguin? It’s because kung moanhi na sila sa Camiguin, wala may gapamati sa ila,” he said in an earlier interview over Magnum Radio. (With reports from Terry Betonio)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 15, 2013.