PPCRV releases guidelines for responsible voting-A A +A
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
THE Parish Pastoral Council for Responsible Voting (PPCRV) has released its guidelines for responsible voting in the May 2013 elections.
The PPCRV said the guidelines aimed to help voters in choosing the right candidates who are seeking public office.
In a report, Henrietta de Villa, PPCRV national chairperson, said 10 Commandments for Responsible Voting are contained in the booklet titled “Pinoy Big Voter,” a voter’s education manual made by the PPCRV.
The booklet also contained the Church’s social teachings, compilation of various pastoral statements of the Catholic hierarchy on elections and information about the automated election system.
“The manual is about the power of voters that is equal in value with the rich and famous. It is only during elections when you exercise your right and responsibility to vote that indeed you are Pinoy Big Voter! Beholden to none but your conscience, your country and your God,” de Villa said.
The 10 Commandments for Responsible Voting are:
1) Vote according to the dictates of your conscience.
2) Respect the decision of others in choosing their candidates.
3) Seek to know the moral integrity, capabilities and other personal qualities of the candidates you will vote for.
4) Strive to understand the issues, platform and programs of candidates and parties campaigning for your vote.
5) Do not sell your vote.
6) Do not vote for candidates using guns, goons, gold and glitter.
7) Do not vote for candidates tainted with graft and corruption.
8) Do not vote for candidates simply because of “utang na loob,” popularity, good looks or pakikisama.
9) Do not vote for candidates living an immoral life.
10) Always put the welfare of the country as top priority in choosing the candidate you will vote for.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 21, 2013.