Residents alarmed over spate of robbery, killings-A A +A
Tuesday, February 26, 2013
POLICE authorities and the administration of Mayor Vicente Emano are hit for failing to protect residents of Cagayan de Oro City from a string of hold-ups and killings.
Bangon Kagay-an Inc. (BK) said in a statement that unresolved crimes have already alarmed local residents, and demanded that Emano and the local police should address these incidents squarely.
Last February 14, a fish vendor was shot dead while on board his motorcycle by an undetermined number of armed men in Sitio Bunker, Barangay Tignapoloan.
Three days after, two robbers riding in tandem shot Alma Naguita, 44, a resident of Barangay Kauswagan and a cashier of a mini-mart in Barangay Carmen.
Naguita was on her way home when two suspected robbers riding in tandem shot her and carted away her bag.
Last week, at least three incidents of robbery were reported in the city, claiming the life of Maybelle Roa, a registered nurse who was shot just outside her house, and a man who was just trying to help a student being victimized by robbers.
Just last Sunday, two British nationals were also robbed while one of their Filipino companions was shot dead by the suspects.
All these are still under investigation.
“We condemn unequivocally and in the strongest possible terms this spate of criminality that has taken the lives of innocent and decent human beings, the likes of Ms. Maybelle Roa, a devoted housewife and doting mother, a hardworking employee and a faithful taxpayer,” the statement said.
BK chairperson Nixon Baban said preventing and solving crimes in the city are not merely police matters but core responsibility of the mayor.
“We expect Mayor Emano to be more publicly involved against the alarming incidence of holdups and murders and not to thrust aside the issue as ‘ginagmay nga panghitabo’,” the statement added.
Councilor Alvin Calingin also criticized police authorities for seemingly not taking any bold step against motor-riding in tandem suspects.
Opposition Councilor Edgar Cabanlas also said there is a continuing deterioration of peace and order in the city. “It seems we have become immune to these kinds of incidents.”
Earlier, the business sector also expressed alarm following the series of hold-ups and killings perpetrated by motor-riding in tandem suspects.
Ralph Paguio, former president of the Cagayan de Oro Chamber of Commerce and Industry Foundation Inc. (Oro Chamber), said police authorities must exert extra effort to prevent, contain and solve the incidents so as not to further disrupt business activities in the city.
“We are saddened with the spate of events that have caused lives and generated negative goodwill. Continuance of such acts will set back all efforts of the business community in uplifting the economic condition of the city,” Paguio said.
Councilor Ian Mark Nacaya, chair of the City Council committee on police, fire and public safety, admitted there’s no sufficient police to guard the entire populace of Cagayan de Oro.
Nacaya said the ratio of police now is one in every 1,100 population. “The ideal ratio is 1:500,” he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 26, 2013.