Rebel tagged in Bukidnon attack falls-A A +A
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
A SUSPECTED member of the New People’s Army (NPA) who was reportedly among those who attacked two pineapple plantations in Bukidnon last week was arrested on Tuesday.
Police Regional Office (PRO)-Northern Mindanao spokesman Police Superintendent Ronnie Francis M. Cariaga identified the alleged NPA member as Valeriano Anonsaon Jr., alias “Junior.”
Cariaga said Anonsaon, who was nabbed in Barangay Sil-ipon in Libona town, Bukidnon, has a pending arrest warrant for attempted homicide issued by Judge Lourdes Eltanal-Ignacio of the 1st Municipal Trial Court of Bukidnon.
Last February 19, NPA rebels simultaneously attacked the plantations and offices of Del Monte Philippines in Camp Phillips and Dole in Impasug-ong.
A few hours after the attack, at least two suspected NPA rebels were arrested in a manhunt operation in Barangay Kihare, Manolo Fortich, Cariaga added.
“Local police of Libona received information from a confidential informant that Valeriano was last spotted in Barangay Sil-ipon where he stayed with his wife’s uncle and was recuperating from the injuries he suffered in an encounter with Army personnel last February 23,” Cariaga said in an emailed statement.
During investigation, Anonsaon told authorities that three more rebels were injured and three others were killed during the encounter.
Cariaga said the management of Del Monte is now coordinating with the local police in the filing of arson cases against the suspected rebels.
“PRO-10 assures the public that it will continue to pursue its mandate of going after these rebels who were responsible in the series of atrocities in Bukidnon. Police personnel have now identified other suspects based on cartographic sketches,” he said.
One security guard was killed while two other guards and one civilian were injured in the February 19 attack in Del Monte.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on February 28, 2013.