Oro top cop faults victims, witnesses-A A +A
Sunday, March 10, 2013
THE spate of armed robberies in Cagayan de Oro City remains unsolved because of the “unwillingness of the victims to file cases and the witnesses to positively identify arrested suspects,” a top police official said.
Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) Director Graciano Mijares said even though they have arrested possible suspects of the series of armed robberies in the city, the victims are still “unwilling to file cases even if they positively identified one of the suspects arrested.”
“That is the predicament that we are facing although naay suspects nga nadakpan ang problema kay dili interesado mag-file ang mga biktima for fear nga basin balikan sila,” he said.
Most of the robbery incidents in the city resulted in the killing of the victims.
Mijares vowed, however, to coordinate with the witnesses and the victims to convince them to file appropriate charges against the arrested suspects.
He said he already deployed additional personnel for police visibility and patrol to prevent related incidents, in response to the noise barrage initiated by Xavier University (XU) community.
Last week, students and staff of the Jesuit-run university launched a series of noise barrage during their lunch breaks, outside their campus gate, to denounce what has been publicly perceived as an unprecedented crime wave in the city.
Led by the university’s social advocacy arm—Kristohanong Katilingban sa Pagpakabana-Social Involvement Office (KKP-SIO)—XU, students and staff appealed to the City Government and law enforcers to do their job in maintaining the peace and order in the city.
In barely three months, suspects -- who are usually riding in tandem -- have robbed and killed 10 individuals, most of whom are long-time residents of the city.
Among the fatalities of the crime wave were women in their 40s, a fish vendor in the upland barangay of Tignapolan, an American, a nurse and a man who tried to thwart the suspects from robbing two students.
“We call on the local leaders to convene the city’s peace and order council to respond to the issue of public safety and security,” a statement of the KKP-SIO reads in part.
The group also appealed to the public to be “watchful of our own safety and security by doing precautionary measures.”
Earlier, Police Regional Office (PRO)-Northern Mindanao Director Catalino Rodriguez ordered all unit commanders -- especially chiefs of police -- to “personally oversee the conduct of police anti-crime intelligence driven operations.”
“Aggressive deployment of police personnel as an urgent intervention must be seen and felt by the people not only in the streets and residential areas but in business establishments also,” said Rodriguez.
City Councilor Alden Bacal, committee on fire, police and public safety vice chair, said the City Council’s committee has done its part in calling a meeting of station commanders “including all security agencies.”
Bacal refused to give the details of what transpired in the meeting as it may tip-off local crime groups.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on March 11, 2013.