City hall opens bid to collect city’s waste-A A +A
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
CAGAYAN de Oro City Hall is opening its doors to new interested contractors who will collect and dispose the city’s garbage.
City information officer Maricel Casiño-Rivera said the bids and awards committee (BAC) would welcome contractors to bid for the collection and disposal of wastes following the Basura Atbp, Inc.’s (BAI) termination of its contract with the City Government on August 22.
Casino-Rivera said “everything will undergo process,” referring to the bidding.
“As of now, the city planning and services office (CPSO) and our volunteers are the ones collecting the garbage and dispose it to our landfill (in Upper Carmen),” she said.
But she can’t determine how long the CPSO and the volunteers would continue to do the garbage collection.
Casiño-Rivera also said they are also considering not using the services of private companies to collect and dispose the city’s wastes anymore.
The termination of contract by BAI, she added, could be due to the alleged discrepancies in the City Local Environment and Natural Resources Office (Clenro) has uncovered after the conduct of reviews on the transactions the private garbage collecting firm had with the City Government during the previous administration of former Mayor Vicente Emano.
Casiño-Rivera said Cagayan de Oro Mayor Oscar Moreno has sent BAI a notice of termination due to irregularities discovered during March and April 2013 where City Hall paid them in double of the average monthly payable of only P6 million each month, which it considered as “overbilling.”
“They could also be liable for their untimely and unnoticed termination of services,” she said.
But BAI owner Roland Ramos belied the accusations saying there was no overbilling on their part.
Ramos admitted he sent Moreno through a letter informing him of his decision to rescind the contract with the city hall effective immediately.
As a result, BAI stopped collecting garbage since Thursday night last week.
Ramos said he sent two bill notifications to the city government on August 2 and 16 but he did not hear any word from them.
He said that since he is operating a small business, he needs to know when he is going to get paid.
Ramos added, what he wanted is an assurance from the City Government on when he will be paid, but after the billings went unacknowledged, he decided to cancel his contract for the reason that without payment he could not just sustain his operations.
BAI’s contract with the City Government is supposed to end by third week of October this year.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 27, 2013.