Raps filed vs Oro blast suspects-A A +A
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
CHARGES were filed at the Court on Tuesday morning after the panel of prosecutors submitted its resolution in the complaints against lone identified suspect, Usman Hapids, and five others.
City prosecutor Fidel Macauyag told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro that the warrants of arrest of Usman Hapids and five other suspects will be released soon. The bombing incident last July 26 killed eight and hurt 40 more.
Macauyag said that once the warrants of arrest will be available, even ordinary citizens could arrest the suspects.
The suspects were charged with multiple and frustrated murder cases. The case will be raffled off on August 29.
“Since we have filed (the resolution) in the court, we expect the court (to issue) the warrants of arrest anytime soon, that could be issued probably within the week or the most is next week,” he said.
He added it is now the duty of the law enforcement agencies or any citizen to arrest the suspects.
“The evidence, so far, speaks of complex crime—multiple murder and frustrated murder. Whatever is the motive, there is a crime committed. Motive is not our concern. We are not guided by the motive, but guided by the evidence and the law that is applicable. The panel of prosecutors saw the crime to be complex, that is the crime that can be filed in court,” he said when asked on the theories of the motive of the attack.
The suspects were not charged with terrorism, since all the documents submitted yielded to murder charges, which have the same penalties as terror acts – life imprisonment.
Macauyag said: “If he (Hapids) is innocent, then he must come out and prove his innocence, because once the warrant is issued, he cannot hide forever or evade the law. If Usman Hapids is existing or still existing or alive and he is innocent, he must come out and face the court, clear his name.”
Macauyag also called on the public to participate in the arrest of Hapids and his cohorts saying: “They can (hold him close) and restrain him until the policeman arrives.”
“This is considered a crime against humanity. Everybody must be concerned about this. (The attack) has resulted to huge damage in the society aside from economic losses. There should be a concerted effort of all civilized people against these criminals or terrorists if they are terrorists. We cannot afford to lose lives just because of these people who are misguided by ideology,” he said.
28 others to be charged
Macauyag said the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Cagayan de Oro has filed supplemental affidavit charging 28 other identified suspects who could also be behind the blast to support the charges against Hapids and five others.
“These names have cropped up based on intelligence reports. But since the evidence is too weak to stand in court, we agreed, and the CIDG made commitment to gather and submit additional evidence to prove the complexity or the participation of some of the 28 additional suspects,” he said.
The panel and the CIDG agreed to stick to the original complaints filed by five relatives of the victims, he added.
“Since this case is in view with public interest, the public is waiting for the outcome of this case immediately. We opted to resolve the original complaint while the resolution of the case with respect to the 28 (suspects as supplemental evidence) is deferred, pending submission of evidence as promised by them (CIDG),” Macauyag said.
“So, we cannot wait indefinitely for the submission because there is a public clamor for the immediate resolution of the real bomber, as there are witnesses who have identified Hapids that came out in the (computerized facial composite),” he added.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on August 28, 2013.