27 distress workers in Cavite seek help-A A +A
Saturday, September 7, 2013
MISAMIS Oriental residents working in a plastic manufacturing plant in Bacoor town in Cavite who feared for their lives after a killing incident inside the plant are seeking help to return to their homes.
The Provincial Government has made arrangements for them to come home soon.
Earlier, they were only 17, but on Friday, the number of those who wanted to come home rose to 27.
On Thursday, Provincial Administrator Edmundo Pacamalan Jr. said 17 workers from Interworld Plastic Manufacturing Corp. in Bacoor, Cavite, relayed to their families that they fear for their lives after a Boholano co-worker hacked a retired police officer to death last week.
The slain policeman’s relatives threatened to kill some of the factory’s workers right after the victim’s burial on Sunday, September 8.
The 17 workers hail from Dampias village in Binuangan town, Misamis Oriental, while the 10 are from Libertad town.
Pacamalan said the additional 10 persons who also worked at the same factory asked the Provincial Government for help.
“Like what we did with the 17, we would also be doing profiling of these 10 people so we could send them their tickets,” Pacamalan said.
He said Governor Yevgeny Vincente Emano ordered to help the workers come home safely.
Pacamalan said the governor has also asked his friends in Cavite to help the workers get out of Cavite unharmed.
Angelito Rulona, the provincial information officer, said on Friday that Capitol has already bought boat tickets for the workers and they are expected to arrive next week, Tuesday at the earliest.
As of Friday, the workers are no longer in the bunkhouse provided by the factory. The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in Bacoor is taking care of them, Rulona said.
He said the factory management ended its contract with the workers sometime this week. They did not even receive back wages.
“The factory management did not provide them any assistance,” Rulona said.
Some of them have nothing to eat and some have a hard time sleeping due to fear.
Isabel Obedencio, mother of Rudy, 33, Pepe, 31, and Antolin, 32, said her sons sent her text messages saying they are scared of the threat.
Vicenta Sacote-Econar, 75, said she is afraid of what might happen to his son Richard, 38, who was telling her they can hardly go to work due to the threat.
This is also what Delfredo B. Econar, 65, felt about his daughter Rosemary, 24, single.
Danilo Martonillas, 49, said his son Danilo Jr., 22, told him that they would be killed right after the policeman’s burial on Sunday.
“Last namo nga istorya adtong Martes. Ingon pa gani niya sa cellphone nga hinayon namo among tingog kay basin makadungog ang ilang silingan sa ilang gipuy-an nga bunkhouse. Mahadlok man sila nga mahibal-an nga nagpakitabang sila nga makauli dinhi. Mao ra sab to among last nga istorya (Our last conversation was on Tuesday. He even told me that we had to tone down our voices so that his co-workers in the other bunkhouse won’t hear the conversation. They were afraid that their co-workers would know they are seeking help to come home. That was the last time we spoke),” Martonillas said.
His older brother, Arturo Martonillas, whose sons are also frightened by the threat, has been calling them for help so they could ask the Provincial Government’s intervention.
“Nagpusot-pusot gud ilang tawag sa amoa kay delikado na kuno kaayo ilang kahimtang didto. Duna silay mga higala nga mga Caviteño didto, maoy nag-ingon sa ilaha nga kinahanglan na gayud nila makauli kay pamatyon gayud sila isip balos sa mga paryente sa pulis (The calls kept coming since they feel the situation is becoming too dangerous. They have Caviteño friends who warned them that they have to go home because the relatives of the slain policeman will avenge the said killing,” the elder Martonillas said.
The Provincial Government assured that they could go back to their hometown safely, Pacamalan said.
According to the workers’ accounts, the unnamed retired police officer went inside the factory plant and looked for trouble days before the incident.
The victim, drunk at the time, tried to strangle a Boholano factory worker, causing him to hold a grudge against the former policeman.
On August 31, right after payday, the Boholano saw the victim and hacked him on the neck. Before he died, the victim took out his firearm and shot the Boholano several times. Both died in the incident.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 07, 2013.