Cops on alert; PUJs rerouted as holidays near-A A +A
Friday, December 13, 2013
THE Police Regional Office (PRO) in Northern Mindanao has intensified its police visibility and other crime-prevention measures in preparation for the coming holidays.
Senior Superintendent Noel Armilla, PRO deputy regional director, said they anticipate increase in robbery and theft incidents especially in highly urbanized areas like Cagayan de Oro City where people come in huge crowds as Christmas time approaches.
“After the All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day, the Christmas season will be our next topmost concern as we expect crime rate to increase as many people mill around,” Armilla said.
Armilla said they will deploy around 300 newly graduated police officers from the Philippine National Police (PNP) regional headquarters to perform routine functions such as anti-criminality operations, beat patrol, checkpoints and general law enforcement.
“Police visibility is very important particularly in crime-prone areas,” Armilla pointed out, adding beat patrol in the provinces, cities and municipalities in Northern Mindanao had been initiated since November 4.
Armilla said that following the recent bombing in a popular mall here weeks ago, they are boosting they city’s police visibility.
Armilla said the PRO-10 has imposed a no-Christmas break for all police officers.
“We are on a 24/7 operation,” Armilla said.
Meanwhile, City Councilor Ramon Tabor reminded the people to be more vigilant and alert against the threat of lawlessness.
Tabor, the city’s police, fire and public safety chairman, also appealed to the public to learn safety tips that will guide them when they go to crowded places such as the malls, churches, wet markets and bus terminals.
Tabor emphasized that peace and order and security is everybody's vital role and that the police can't do this alone without the support of the community.
“(The police) cannot do it alone, everyone must take care of each other para dili ta mahimong biktima sa mga lawless activities and criminals,” Tabor said.
Aside from the measures initiated by the police, a revised traffic scheme will be implemented by the Roads and Traffic Administration (RTA) along Cogon market to decongest the traffic situation come Christmas season.
City Councilor Roger Abaday said the revised traffic rerouting will be in effect for 30 days.
Abaday said part of the scheme is the establishment of loading and unloading areas for jeepneys playing the Lapasan-Cogon route.
The areas designated are portions in JR Borja Street untill Guillermo and Osmena Streets.
He said for the Cugman-Gusa RC liners, their designated areas are along Vicente Roa and Guillermo Streets.
Another loading areas are Cugman and Gusa RD liners (Osmeña and Roxas Streets); Zayas liners (Osmeña and Guillermo Streets); Bonbon, Bayabas, Kauswagan and Pier RA/RB liners in Yacapin St. up to Osmeña St. and Guillermo street; and Iponan and Pier RBC liners’ route will be the Vicente Roa and Daumar Streets.
Abaday hopes that the new revised traffic scheme will give solution to the traffic condition in Cogon especially during Christmas and New Year’s eves.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on December 13, 2013.