Explosion sparks fire in Oro apartment-A A +A
Tuesday, December 17, 2013
A FIRE hit an apartment in Montalvan-Velez Streets in Cagayan de Oro late morning on Monday, the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) said.
Senior Fire Officer 1 Victor Naive, City Fire District investigator, said the blaze broke out in the apartment’s bathroom located at the second floor. Irma Maandig owns the house.
Naive said the damage was estimated to be at P500.
He said firefighters were able to contain the flame before it can fan out to the living room of the apartment rented by Ralph Victor Dulalas.
The fire investigator, however said most of the apartments are made of cement and are installed with fire walls that a conflagration could not spread easily.
A certain Ernesto Pareño, a carpenter, reported the incident immediately to authorities through hotline 117 when it was alerted by the residents.
Pareño said they were renovating another apartment when Dulalas and members of his family shouted for help.
He admitted most of the apartments inside the Maandig compound where the incident took place are in need of repairs.
Dulalas said smoke appeared inside the comfort room after they heard an explosion.
He said a switch connection sparked first and then the fire immediately broke out.
Dulalas said when they noticed the fire was getting bigger they decided to get out of the house bringing with them some household items.
“Misulay pa man ko ug balik sulod sa balay kay kuhaon nako ang TV ug (liquifide petroleum gas) tangke, pero naglisod gyud ko. Maayo na lang kay nadali ug patay ang kalayo (I tried to get back to the house to retrieve the TV and LPG tank but I found it hard to do so. It was a good thing they doused the fire right away),” he related.
He related that they saw the fire spreading to the wall and tried to put it out with a pail of water, but failed.
“Pero grabe naman kaayo ang aso, migawas na lang gyud ko (The smoke was so overwhelming I had no choice but to get out of the house),” he said.
No one was hurt in the incident, the firefighters reported.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on December 17, 2013.