3 killed, one survived in Bukidnon killings-A A +A
Sunday, March 16, 2014
THREE persons were killed while a boy survived in a gun attack in Purok 3, Barangay Mabuhay in Baungon municipality Saturday evening.
The victims were identified as husband and wife Juan, 51, and Rosita Magsalay, 47, and their 30-year-old son, Julius.
Still recuperating is Alvin Julius, the six-year-old son of Julius, who is confined in one of the hospitals in the city.
Alvin sustained a gunshot wound on his left knee. He couldn’t be interviewed yet due to trauma.
Police Inspector Joan Galvez, spokesperson of Bukidnon Provincial Police Office, said that according to witnesses the victims were inside a “videoke saloon” beside their house watching some videos in one of the units there when a man wearing bonnet fired at them.
Galvez said 12 shells of 9mm and four from a .45 caliber gun were found in the crime scene.
When asked of the possible motive of the attack, Galvez said it could be a personal grudge over a land conflict.
The Magsalays were farmers.
Another source, one of the victims’ former neighbors, said in a radio interview Saturday night that the attack and killings like that of the Magsalay incident are common in Baungon.
“The group has been instrumental in several attacks in the area for the past few years. We believe that this is the same group since the style and the way they made the attack is similar to those that has been happening in the past but the local officials had been unable to solve these killings,” said the neighbor who asked not to be named.
Galvez said Baungon police is still probing the incident.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on March 17, 2014.