Truck containing unused fireworks explodes-A A +A
Thursday, April 10, 2014
THE peaceful and calm afternoon in Barangay Consolacion was disturbed after an idle truck cum storage facility exploded Wednesday.
Donnie Labita, owner of the truck, said that unused fireworks from last year started the explosion after a welding spark caught them.
“The truck was filled with unused fireworks from last year, several unused equipment, home materials including our fire extinguisher since they can be easily accessed. We did not expect that it could become a source of accident. It was triggered by a welding spark on the top floor of the house that might have landed on the fireworks and then exploded,” said Labita who is also a barangay council member.
Labita said that the summer heat might have contributed in the explosion.
“The heat from the sun might have also aided in the sudden explosion of all the materials inside the truck. It’s sad since we have been working and fixing the truck for several months, it has been idle after it was damaged by flood waters from Sendong that swept our compound back in 2011,” Labita said.
Jessa one of the residents in the area was shocked after she heard the explosion.
“It was a big explosion which shocked us all here in the neighborhood, people became afraid especially when we saw the dark smoke near our homes. We are just thankful it was not a big fire,” she said.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on April 10, 2014.