No homes yet for displaced MisOr town residents

-A A +A

Wednesday, April 23, 2014


IT HAS been more than five months since families in a Misamis Oriental village lost their houses to a demolition in December 2013 and up to now they have yet to find a new home they can call their own.

“Kon sa mahinumduman, hapit na mag-one year (if we can recall it’s been almost a year). Ang mga tawo nag-antos daplin sa dalan hangtod karon, wala pa jud ‘mi ma-relocate (We have been suffering living on the side of the road, but until now we have not been relocated),” said Gina Lubguban, vice chairperson of Albidec (Alyansa ng mga Biktima ng Demolisyon sa Calangahan).

Albidec is a group of residents whose homes were torn down based on write of demolition issued by a court order in Barangay Calangahan, Lugait town, on December 4, 2013.

For months, the residents have suffered from homelessness and risks that they faced as they were forced to live in shanties on the side of highway.

“Dili ko maka-ingon na maayo na among kahimtang (We cannot really say that our situation has improved),” Lubguban added.

As the displaced residents have to endure this situation, the provincial board of Misamis Oriental, meanwhile, took action by passing a resolution on January 24, 2014 and submitted it to Vice President Jejomar Binay for intervention.

The board, through resolution no. 33-2014 authored by Kagawad Nancy Madjos, head of the committee on infrastructure, has requested Binay to allocate funds for the resettlement of 240 informal settlers displaced by the demolition in Calangahan.

The provincial board got a response last week from the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council of the Office of the President through the National Housing Authority (NHA).

However, the project proposal for the land development project for the relocation is still not prepared, said Engr. Fe Ancheta, District 1 Manager of the NHA-R10.

“Our next move is to conduct a site inspection,” Ancheta added.

Teofilo Agustus, Lugait municipal planning and development coordinator, said the fisher folks will be relocated in a subdivision-type of land.

The lots to be provided are to be sold to the families in an affordable price as a form of cost recovery.

Augustus said that Governor Yevgency Vincente Emano will provide the materials the residents may need.

He estimated that about 130 lots will be given to the Albidec members.

However, there were 240 families recorded and stated in the resolution sent to Binay.

“Di pa masabi na na 240-plus ang affected (in the demolision) dahil sa court order, kaunti lang (families). Pero nagsubmit na [ng] bagong list ng [families affected],” he said.

In the meantime, Augustus said that Emano had been providing medical and other assistance to the affected families in Calangahan.

In the recent provincial board session in Lugait last Monday, a staff of the council said that the Calangahan chairperson presented their request to the legislators for more assistance of all kinds from them, especially in the relocation.

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on April 23, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro front page for August 27, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Calamity Report
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Obituary
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • goodearth
  • ePaper