City scholars can still enroll despite fund cuts-A A +A
By Riz P. Sunio
Thursday, April 24, 2014
DESPITE the P300-million cut in the proposed executive budget for 2014, the city scholarship program will still continue, but its policies to be revised this week, said Maria Dulce Potenciano, in-charge of the scholarship program.
Potenciano said that the city government will still be discussing on the new policies for the scholarship and how many scholars they will be taking in light of the said cuts on Thursday.
Last year, the city shouldered the expenses of around 600 scholars, and had about 100 of them graduated last April, she said.
During former Cagayan de Oro mayor Vicente Emano’s term, funds for the scholarship used to be augmented from the Special Education fund which came from 1 percent of the collection taken from the Real Property Tax, said Marical Rivera of the City Information Office.
The augmentation was later declared by the Commission on Audit (COA) as “illegal” because the funds should only be used for school infrastructures like classrooms.
Still, 627 scholars were still able to benefit from the said funds.
Incumbent City Mayor Oscar Moreno continued the scholarships but not through the use of the city’s general funds.
Aside from the city scholarship programs, “We also have scholarships for skills training,” said Rivera, which is under the Community Improvement Division (CID).
It can be recalled that Moreno proposed a P2.6 billion Executive Budget for 2014, but the majority bloc of the city council only approved P2.3 billion where P2.06 billion was allotted for the general fund.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on April 24, 2014.