Relocation site ready for displaced Lugait families-A A +A
By Riz P. Sunio
Friday, April 25, 2014
A RELOCATION site is now available for the families whose homes were demolished recently in Barangay Calangahan, Lugait, Misamis Oriental, the Lugait municipal government said.
The 1.5-hectare land purchased by the local government unit of Lugait will be subdivided among the 168 displaced families. Each family will have 55 square meters of lot.
After reconciling four lists of families that were affected by the demolition from Albidec (Alyansa ng mga Biktima ng Demolisyon sa Calangahan), the court order, the barangay nutrition scholars and health workers, and the municipal planning and development coordinator, the 240 families mentioned in the resolution filed by the provincial board addressed to Vice President Jejomar Binay was reduced to 168, said Hannah Lou Gumapan, administrative officer of the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO).
She also said the residents will be relcoated near the demolished site where they will can continue fishing.
“Mao man gud ang ilang way of life. So lisud pud mag-adjust na pud sila,” she said.
Because of the changes in the figure, the Provincial Engineering Office will be resubmitting a new blueprint to Lugait of the land project for the displaced families.
From the original plan of relocating 140 families, the team will be changing the intended communal area for farming and gardening by 1,100 sq. meters to become extra lot for 36 more families.
Another eight more families will be taken in which will still be assessed and screened by the provincial government.
The number of listed families rose from an original of 130 based on the records last December 2013 to 170 on February 2014 until it reached 244 on April 2014.
The relocation committee found out that there were double entries and some registrants that have already died, left their homes, and were not real residents of the area, Gumapon said.
“A number of them (settlers) were not from Lugait. Some of them [just] joined the protest,” vice-governor Joey Pelaez said in an interview with Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro.
However, Gina Lubguban, vice chairperson of Albidec, said that some of the names had double entries because the committee collected four lists.
She also said that most registrants did go to other places but that they owned the demolished homes.
The relocation has already been approved by the provincial government and the site has already been bought by Lugait, said provincial administrator Edmundo Pacamalan Jr.
Development and landscaping of the site will start on the last week of April or first week of May, said Gumapon.
“Primarily, it’s really the local government of Lugait that's responsible for them,” Pelaez said.
“Ayaw ng DPWH (Department of Public Works and Highways) na mamalagi pa [sila] sa highway (DPWH doesn't want them to stay along the highway),” Pacamalan said.
However, the provincial government has asked for an extension for the stay of the displaced families there at least until the lots are ready, Gumapon said.
“Kani sad siya na relocation, nigawas pud kay tungod sa nanukol ang mga tao sa demolisyon,” Lubguban said, adding that the council told her that Misamis Oriental will be shouldering free materials for building their homes but that the families themselves will build them, based on their negotiations.
Furthermore, they also promised them projects such as work for food.
“Hangtod karun, nag-hinam hinam gyud ang mga tao modawat na sa relocation (Up to now, we are very excited to be relocated),” she told this paper in a phone interview Thursday afternoon, sharing on how difficult the situation of the victims who built shelters by the highway.
“Hapit na mi mag-isa ka tuig diri nga sa among pagpuyo. Duna nay mga disgrasya, duna nay tigulang na nabanggaan (We have been here on this site. There had been vehicular accidents already like the old woman hit by a vehicle),” she said. “Dako gyud ang akong pasalamat sa among LGU… kung mahatag na ni ang bag-ong relocation.”
However, Pacamalan said the province will only provide for the equipment for the development of the lands, but will be assisting in a few other basic needs like nails to build their homes. The materials to be used for the houses will be from the victims themselves.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on April 25, 2014.