Abducted Lanao Norte village chief sick

-A A +A

Saturday, May 31, 2014


KOLAMBUGAN, Lanao del Norte – Abducted village chief Rogelio Narciso of Barangay Palao in Kolambugan town in Lanao del Norte is hypertensive, and his location at press time could not be found by the authorities.

Narciso, 61, was abducted by 10 armed men on Wednesday morning, May 28.

"I sent medicines for barangay captain Narciso who is still in the hands of his abductors," Mayor Lorenzo Manegos told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro by phone Saturday morning.

Advertisement

Manegos said the old man is hypertensive and the medicines sent are still in the hands of the vice-mayor of Munai since his location has not been revealed yet by his abductors.

Meranaw negotiators, including a Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) member, have come to Manegos offering help to locate the kidnap victim.

Manegos said that the kidnapping of Narciso broke the healing of the victims of the 2008 Kolambugan attack where houses and business establishments had been razed, several wounded and scores died.

“Kung ma disgrasya si kapitan Narciso makahatag na usab kini ug laing kagubot (If ever barangay captain Narciso’s condition will become unfortunate in the hands of the kidnappers, it will trigger another chaos in Kolambugan),” Manegos said referring to the huge clan of the Narcisos in Kolambugan.

Identified

Col. Demmy Tejares, commanding officer of the 2nd Mechanize Infantry Brigade of the Philippine Army based in Iligan City, told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro by phone Saturday morning that the armed men are led by a certain Wali Pelaez.

Tejares said, "The armed group brought Narciso to the hinterlands of Munai town in Lanao del Norte which is one of the six Moro Islamic Liberation Front claimed territory in the province under the proposed Bangsamoro Juridical Entity."

"As alleged the armed men demanded P1 million ransom in exchange of Naciso's freedom," Tejares added.

But, Manegos said he has not received any information on the P1 million ransom for Narciso’s freedom.

Tejares said, "We have already coordinated with peace mechanism group and informed Abas Salung of MILF Central Coordinating Committee on Cessation of Hostilities (CCCH) and Brig. Gen. Edmun Pangilingan, the commanding general of the 6th Infantry Division Philippine Army and chairperson of government of the Philippines-CCCH and AJAG.

"The troops under the 2nd Mechanize and the 15th IB extended support to the Philippine National Police in the rescue operations of Narciso" Tejares said.

Second abduction in Lanao Norte

Police report showed that this is the second abduction incident in the province in May.

On May 16, John Kevin Montajes, 22, a resident barangay Tangigueron in Tubod, the capital town of the province, was abducted in Barangay Demologan in Bacolod town around 6 p.m. while driving his passenger van headed toward Iligan City.

The five suspects allegedly hired the van for a wedding. According to one of Montajes’s relatives, Montajes has remained missing at press time.

Narciso’s abduction has been the second in May.

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on June 01, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro's front page for November 27, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Technology
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Festivals
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pacman blog