Woes greet school opening in Oro

-A A +A

Tuesday, June 3, 2014


SCHOOLS in Cagayan de Oro City were harried with various problems during the opening of classes Monday.

At Misamis Oriental General Comprehensive High School (MOGCHS), for instance, late enrolment and lack of classrooms are among the concerns the school’s faculty faced.

But, Dr. Helen Maasin, head of Values Education at MOGCHS, said teachers should not be blamed if there were students who failed to attend their classes on Monday due to late enrolment.

Advertisement

Most of the problems were created by the students themselves, Maasin said.

Some of the students just obtained their cards, thus, enrolling came late, but Maasin added they were able to accommodate them.

With the huge population of the school, the MOGHCS administration already posted the list of the names of students and their corresponding sections for the 7th grade last week, still the students did not find their classroom assignments.

She said it caused a slight delay of the classes.

Maasin said they are still accepting late enrollees until their quota is met.

“Until we can reach the 45 students per sections,” she said.

For Grade 7, they have 54 sections; Grade 8, 51; Grade 9, 55; and Grade 10, 46 sections.

If the enrollees would exceed the 45 students per section quota, she assured they will find ways to solve the problem.

Another problem that she identified is the waste disposal system of the school.

The City Government, through the City Local Environment and Resources Office, (Clenro) provided the school a schedule for its waste collection.

The only condition Clenro asked of MOGCHS, Maasin added, is to segregate their wastes.

Since MOGCHS is under the jurisdiction of Barangay 29, the barangay captain (village chief) donated four CCTVs for the security and safety of the students and the school’s personnel.

The CCTVs are positioned in strategic areas around the campus, specifically at the entrance and exit gates, in the administration building and the usual spot in the back where the students would jump off to cut class.

Due to lack of classrooms, MOGCHS is shifting classes, morning and afternoon sessions, like City Central School (CCS).

At CCS, there were only minor problems that the school encountered during the opening, CCS principal Celso Pagulon said.

Pagulon said one of the most pressing concerns raised by the parents is the shifting of classes.

He said there are parents who have children studying at CCS attending different class shifts. These parents want their pupils to attend one shift, either the morning or afternoon.

To solve this, Pagulon said, swapping of students has been arranged by the local grade leaders.

To some who cannot be swapped especially children with different grade levels, Pagulon talked to the parents and assured them that in the second semester the classes would be switched to another session, so that those who are attending the morning session would now be under the after session.

The parents were cooperative with the suggestion. “Naka-sabot ra man pud sila (They understood it),” he added.

Since the newly renovated classrooms couldn't be used, they are still implementing class shifts.

“Pareha ra gihapon last year ang mahitabo (This is still the same arrangement as last year),” he said, pointing out the course of the school year is headed.

As for the late enrollees, MOGCHS and CCS are still accepting students.

Angelina Buason, Education Program supervisor for English of DepEd-10, said they are still waiting for reports from the field so they would know the situation in the schools.

“Gahulat lang ‘mi ug report gikan sa field, kay wala pa may report gikan sa division offices, among interpretation, wala pa gyuy problems for now,” Buason said.

Buason was the in-charge of the morning schedule on Monday. On Tuesday afternoon, they will have different person in charge.

The projected enrollees of DepEd-10 for the city schools in elementary is 779,967 while last year it was 757,236.

In the secondary level, they projected about 244,361 enrollees this year while last year it was 237,238.

Bauson said the education department has implemented a task force called ‘Oplan Balik Eskwela’ (OBE).

She believed the guidelines they prepared have helped resolved problems at the division level and cited it must be the reason why no reports have reached them yet.

She reiterated that the principals, head of the schools should submit their report to the division, from there the reports are forwarded to the regional office which will be passed to central office.

The OBE guideline Bauson clarified that “there are no collections ug dawaton tanan mag-enroll.”

She made it clear that no students must be denied of enrolment. (Lynyrd Alexsei N. Corrales-XU-DevComm Intern)

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on June 03, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro's front page for November 28, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Calamity Report
  • goodearth
  • ePaper
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pacman blog
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity