Raps filed vs suspected radioman killer

-A A +A

Thursday, June 19, 2014


ONE of the suspected perpetrators of the slain local radioman in Bukidnon is now facing a murder case at the City Prosecutor's Office in Valencia City.

The suspect, Dionesio Daulong, 22, was captured by Valencia and Quezon police at Purok 6, Barangay Paitan in Quezon, Bukidnon around 5:30 a.m. on June 13.

The murder case filed stemmed from the alleged involvement of Daulong in the killing of radioman Joash Dignos on November 29, 2013.

Daulong will also face two other counts of murder, two counts of frustrated murder and one count of attempted murder.

According to Superintendent Gerson Soliven, Bukidnon provincial officer of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Unit (CIDU), illegal possession of explosive is the latest charge that will be filed against the suspect.

Soliven told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro by phone Wednesday they don't have any clue as of now that could lead them to other suspects and the possible mastermind.

"We have some information but we still have to validate them also," he said.

Daulong is among the four suspects in Dignos’s killing identified by witnesses through a sketch released by the Valencia police January this year.

Thanked

Dignos' wife Catalina thanked the law enforcers who captured the primary suspect of the killing.

"On behalf of my children, I express my deepest gratitude to the police because finally the case has progressed. I just hope that this development will continue until the suspects will be punished," Dignos told this paper by phone.

Regional Prosecutor Jaime Umpa is optimistic on the case saying "we have a very strong case against the accused. Hopefully, other suspects will be arrested."

"I will closely communicate with our prosecutor in Bukidnon to give enough attention and focus on this case. We have to keep track on this matter to ensure the conviction of the suspects," he told this paper in earlier report.

National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) chairperson Rowena Paraan expressed her optimism with the suspect’s arrest.

"It's a good development. It's a rare thing to happen na may nahuhuli. Sana tuloy-tuloy. Sana mahusay ang paghandle ng case para ma convict," she told this paper by phone last week.

Since 1986, there are only 13 convictions in the Philippines out of 164 extrajudicial killings.

Senior Superintendent Pedro Austria, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-10 (CIDG-10) chief, said Daulong is now detained at the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology in Valencia City.

A total of 33 journalists and media workers have been killed since President Benigno Aquino III assumed power in 2010.

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on June 19, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro's front page for July 31, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • ePaper
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • Philippine Polls