Oro cop in Bukidnon shooting not a gun for hire

-A A +A

Wednesday, July 2, 2014


A POLICE precinct official has confirmed Tuesday that the law enforcer who was involved in a shooting incident last week in Valencia City was not a gun for hire.

Senior Inspector Henry Cay-as, chief of the Divisoria police station, does not believe that PO1 Reymond Pagtalunan, one of the shooting suspects, was hired to kill the victims.

Cay-as told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro by phone Tuesday morning the shooting incident stemmed from a long-standing family dispute over land.

Advertisement

"In the initial investigation of Valencia City police, the two families' vast rice paddies were not partitioned equally," he said.

A few months back, families of Navaja and Magallanes both requested for police escorts following security threats.

"Reymond is assigned to Navaja family whose daughter eventually became his girlfriend. When the parents of the girlfriend were shot dead, perhaps, Reymond felt the misery and the depression of his girlfriend's family since he was considered part of it. So it led him to retort," Cay-as said of the incident.

Pagtalunan was on leave when the incident happened.

“He (Pagtalunan) was supposed to attend his brother's wedding in Libona [Bukidnon]. Perhaps, he visited her girlfriend's house but unfortunately the incident happened," he said.

"We still have to wait for the result of the investigation as we are only given the initial investigation," he added.

The Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (Cocpo) will also conduct its own investigation to come up with result whether to dismiss Pagtalunan or not.

Cay-as said, as far as he knows, Pagtalunan is his trusted police officer, and front liner when they arrested several suspects circulating fake money in the city.

Still in critical condition

"He is partly unconscious. He cannot totally open his eyes but he can hear us," Cay-as said.

According to a physician of Northern Mindanao Medical Center (NMMC), Pagtalunan has bigger chances of surviving. He was hospitalized after attempting to commit suicide.

After he will be discharged from the hospital, Pagtalunan will be facing administrative and criminal charges.

Pagtalunan is one of the three suspects in the killing of two victims in Valencia City in the morning of June 27 in purok 4, barangay Laligan, Valencia.

Valencia police first arrested Leo Serbano, 30, resident of barangay Lapasan here. Another unidentified suspect was able to escape from the area.

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on July 02, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro's front page for November 24, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • Pnoy
  • Festivals
  • Habemus Papam
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report