Wait for 2016, Emano told-A A +A
Friday, July 4, 2014
ALLIES of Mayor Oscar Moreno had downplayed the petition for recall initiated by the camp of former mayor Vicente Emano and even called it a mere political strategy designed to get noticed by the city’s voting population and the media.
Lawyer James Judith, legal consultant of Moreno, told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro by phone Friday afternoon that the recall petition is “politically motivated” as he also urged Emano to wait for 2016 so he can run again.
"There is no basis in all of this. Nagpapansin lang (He just wants to get noticed). And that's normal sa tao who cannot face his loss," Judith said.
Emano's supporters gathered at the Capitol grounds Thursday afternoon to protest against Moreno in relation to his alleged election maneuvering that led to Emano's loss and other issues.
"Look who's talking? Speaking on all these things kay ang tawo gabuhat ani kang Klarex [Representative Rolando Uy, of the city’s 1st district]," Judith said, referring to Emano.
In an interview on Thursday, Emano has maintained that he has nothing to do with the recall petition and, in fact, he did not even affix his signature on the list of registered voters who supported the initiative.
He said the recall petition was the idea of the barangay chairs who are still supportive of him even if he is no longer the city mayor.
Emano also claimed that he was cheated in the last year’s election.
On the first week of April 2014 following the electoral protest of Emano's camp, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) central office manually recounted 32 ballot boxes from the city.
However, the Comelec found no sufficient and substantive evidence to establish that there was cheating in the previous poll.
Lawyer Mateo Delegencia, Moreno’s legal counsel who’s handling election protest filed by Emano against him, denied the electoral sabotage that allegedly happened in the May 10, 2013 elections.
"This is just a baseless accusation. The margin of votes is more than 20,000," Delegencia told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro Friday afternoon.
Run in 2016
Moreno's supporters, however, urged Emano to run in the next elections to prove he is worthy again of the position as the city’s chief executive.
"Wait for 2016 and strike back rather than come up on the streets and make noise," Judith said.
"Two years to go. Better if you can wait," added Dante Roa, barangay Consolacion chairman.
Meanwhile, captain Marlon Tabak of Barangay Gusa challenged Emano in a barangay-level election in the next poll.
"If he wants the recall election, run for office in Gusa against me. If I lose, I'll ask mayor [Moreno] to step down from the City Hall," Tabak told Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro, citing that even in Gusa, where Emano was registered, he failed to win votes from all precincts in the 2013 elections.
Delegencia and Judith both agreed that this protest boils down to his strategy of grabbing the attention of the Kagay-anons and the media.
"My look on the whole thing is really for him to be noticed. Hungry ‘ni siya sa attention sa media," Judith said.
"Malabo ang pag-reclaim sa city hall because the mayor [Moreno] is doing good," he added.
"Puros na ni desperate attempt aron duna pa siya rason nga mo-sabotage sa mayor," Delegencia said.
'No more recall'
For its part, the Comelec has already announced that it has no budget for the conduct of the recall election.
In Resolution 9882 issued by the Comelec, it suspended all recall proceedings in the country due to the poll body's financial constraints as it does not also have contingency fund for the conduct of recall elections under the 2014 General Appropriations Act (GAA).
City Comelec officer Aleli Ramirez has reiterated the pronouncement of the poll body that it cannot afford to hold a recall election because of budgetary constraints.
Two recall petitions pending in the Comelec are those of Puerto Princesa Mayor Lucilo Bayron and Bulacan Governor Wilhelmino Sy-Alvarado.
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on July 05, 2014.