Lagbas’ wife takes oath today as board member

-A A +A

Tuesday, September 2, 2014


THE wife of deceased Misamis Oriental board member Roldan Lagbas is set to take her oath later today as the official replacement of her husband’s post at the provincial board.

By virtue of President Benigno Aquino III's operation of law, Susan Lagbas has been declared by the president as an official member of the board through a letter sent to the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) in Misamis Oriental on August 11.

In her statement Monday afternoon, she said that the president's approval is a victory the family will rejoice despite the slow progress of her husband's untimely demise in a bomb attack in July last year.

Advertisement

"Despite the hard times we have been through, we have not lost our hopes because of our friends who helped us. After over a year, we have received what we have been waiting for. It's a big leap for the family," Susan said.

She furthered that what her husband has started in the women's sector, sports and agriculture will continue so as to live on the legacy of her husband.

Susan’s camp belied reports that her in-laws are against her appointment and called it “unsubstantiated.”

Meanwhile, the partymates and fellow board members of the late Lagbas are happy of this development.

"We are so glad especially we, the mayors of the first district of Misamis Oriental, not because we have a partymate who is able to enter the board, but because we see how the late Lagbas respect his people in his district. No individual can fathom his thoughts and views for his people other than his wife. We also thank the president for his confidence and trust," Talisayan town mayor Rommel Maslog said.

"We are happy that we are now complete at the provincial board because of this active woman...," Maslog added.

It can be recalled that Lagbas was one of those who died when a bomb exploded outside Kyla’s Bistro on July 26, 2013. The blast left eight people dead and scores injured.

Last year, multiple murder and frustrated multiple charges were filed against prime suspect Usman Hapids and five other suspects, who are believed members of the Khilafa Islamiyah Mindanao, a small terror group based in Southwestern Mindanao.

Since the filing of the cases, authorities have not been able to locate and arrest Hapids and his companions to face the charges filed against them.

Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 02, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro's front page for November 28, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Festivals
  • goodearth
  • tell it to sunstar
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pacman blog