Laguindingan Airport on alert after NAIA bomb threat-A A +A
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
THE security situation at the Laguindingan Airport in Laguindingan town, Misamis Oriental, has been placed on heightened alert level following the bomb threat at Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 (NAIA-3) last Monday, September 1.
The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines in northern Mindanao (Caap 10) has requested additional security forces from the regional and provincial public safety battalion.
Engr. Jose Budiongan, area manager of the Caap-10, said even if the danger issues have not persisted at Laguindingan Airport, they ensured that tighter security condition is in place.
The Philippine Army's 58th Infantry Battalion (58IB) under the 4th Infantry Division (4ID) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) in the region have been the standby forces in the airport since its opening in April 2013.
"Additional contingents of the PNP Aviation Security Group (ASG) have been deployed all over the (LA) complex to deter possible terrorist or destabilization activities, while the military is tasked to take care of the premises outside the airport," Budiongan told Sun*Star Cagayan de Oro Tuesday afternoon by phone.
Although Budiongan refused to divulge the exact number of newly augmented law enforcers, he assured a sufficient number of policemen has been deployed to secure the public.
"So far, the situation in the airport is under control and hopefully will remain calm," he said.
Budiongan has also called on all air passengers to be extra vigilant.
"Passengers can best help us also through being observant. Please do report anyone or anything that's suspicious," Budiongan noted.
NAIA-3 bomb threat
Around 1:30 a.m. Monday, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) has intercepted three suspects who were caught in possession with improvised explosive device (IED) at the NAIA-3 parking area 35.
Justice secretary Leila De Lima identified the suspects as Grandeur Pepito Guerrero, Emmanuel San Pedro and Sonny Yohanon.
All of them underwent inquest proceedings at the DOJ for illegal possession of explosives and a preliminary investigation hearing was set for September 12.
The three may also face charges of conspiracy to commit terrorism depending on the result of the ongoing follow-up investigation, she said.
Authorities also confiscated the suspects' white Toyota Revo with license plate WMK-129.
A news site reported that among their targets were a shopping mall, a construction company and an embassy.
The NBI reportedly received a tip on a possible terror attack three weeks ago. The agents had been waiting for the suspects to arrive at the parking lot since the night of Aug. 31. (With reports from Sunnex)
Published in the Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro newspaper on September 03, 2014.